• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia and the National Championship

This thread.... The last 2 years UGA has legit been in the national championship hunt and almost won one. Yeah Kirby sucks.... let's fire him and go back to mediocrity.

It's easy to get down OP but there's plenty to be excited about for UGA football. They played down in a meaningless bowl game.

Saban's 2008 Alabama team went to the 2009 Sugar Bowl and got embarrassed by Utah. They won the National Championship the next season. Just a matter of getting the whole team to buy into giving 100% on every play and not thinking about the score, opponent or anything else. I suspect Kirby has his players attention after that unexpected Sugar Bowl loss, and that they won't have the letdown like this season against LSU and Texas. I know they certainly have the talent and gave Alabama all they wanted in the SEC Championship game.
It was just one of those yrs.. GA is a very good team...ROLL TIDE is a very good team...every team could play again and it be a complete turn around on the win and loses

GA is a very good team and I think they will be in the running next year along with Clemson and Bama, if Saban is still the HC and not coaching the Packers. This day and age with players sitting out in bowl games and teams not playing their full potential because they got butt hurt for not being in a game they should have been in changes things.

Clemson played a heck of a game, and congratulations to them hope Bama, and Saban will see them again next year. Saban just didn’t get as fired up or into it as he normally does which bothers me..... Roll Tide.

Mark Richt vs Kirby Smart as HC @ UGA

Mark Richt Year one @ GA 8-4 (2001)
Kirby Smart Year one @ GA 8-5 (2016)

Mark Richt Year two @ GA 13-1
Kirby Smart Year two @ GA 13-2

Mark Richt Year 3 @ GA Started out 6-1 Loss was at LSU. Finished 11-3..7th place in final NCAA poll
Kirby Smart Year three @ GA Started out 6-1 Loss was at LSU. Finished 11-3..6th place in final NCAA poll

Thing they had in common; both were out coached when they had better talent according to recruitment rankings.

There is still a chance Kirby can get it done.

HDD

That’s insane how similar those stats are. I like Kirby’s recruiting of really big fast and strong lineman... hope that makes a difference over time.

Update: I’m a Georgia fan, but I am not as optimistic as I used to be. I was thinking with Kirby the Dawgs were right on the precipice of a National Title. But after Gerorgia’s poor showing in the bowl game and after watching the National Championship game, I’m worrried about next year. Saban and the Tide will be on a mission next year and Clemson is a realnbeast.

So someone give me something to be optimistic about....

Things that have happened since Georgia last won a national championship

Alabama has won a national championship - 6 times
Al Gore invented the internet, was elected a congressman, senator, Vice President twice and become a global warming conspiracy theorist
NASA launched the first space shuttle and the last one.
Georgia tech, the Braves and Atlanta United have all won championships
Sony invented and dicountinued the Walkman
Nick Saban won a Championship at LSU and 5 more with the Tide
MTV was created
Michael Jordan won a NCAA championship, graduated college, won 3 NBA championships, retired, won 3 more NBA titles and retired again.
20 different schools have been crowned NCAA football champs including football powerhouses like BYU, Colorado, and GT
5 SEC schools have all won football championships for a combined 13 times
Zack Morris and the “saved by the bell” crew graduated high school, got married, graduated college and established solid B level careers.
its all about the money, and all involved are dirty.

Back
Top Bottom