• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia DNR Initiating a Coyote Challenge

Sowega86

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Exiled to Southwest Georgia
9   0
Reaction score
http://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/resources/CoyoteChallenge
In order to encourage the taking of coyotes from March to August, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division is introducing the Georgia Coyote Challenge.

Each coyote killed, up to five (5) a month per hunter/trapper, will earn an entry into a monthly drawing for a lifetime license (or equal credit for purchase of hunting/fishing licenses)*.

Currently, scientific research suggests that removal of coyotes during the spring and summer is the most advantageous time to reduce the impact of predation on native wildlife. We want to encourage coyote removal efforts during this critical period.

The coyote (Canis latrans) is a non-native predator that can be found in every county in Georgia and has the unique ability to live in a variety of habitats. Trapping and/or hunting are legal and recommended methods for managing coyotes. Because they did not historically live in Georgia, there is no closed season for their harvest.

HOW DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE GEORGIA COYOTE CHALLENGE?

• Participants may bring a coyote carcass to one of the following offices (Monday-Friday, between 8 am – 4:30 pm, excluding holidays):
  • Participants can submit up to five coyotes for five entries in the contest in a single month.
  • Participant must be present during submission of coyote.
  • Coyotes must have been killed between the first and last days of the submission month. Road-kills, spoiled carcasses, and live coyotes are not eligible.
Coyote carcasses will be returned to participant, who must ensure its' proper disposal. Some disposal guidelines provided here.

i would want to see a video of this:

upload_2017-2-18_10-28-26.png

http://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/resources/CoyoteChallenge
In order to encourage the taking of coyotes from March to August, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division is introducing the Georgia Coyote Challenge.

Each coyote killed, up to five (5) a month per hunter/trapper, will earn an entry into a monthly drawing for a lifetime license (or equal credit for purchase of hunting/fishing licenses)*.

Currently, scientific research suggests that removal of coyotes during the spring and summer is the most advantageous time to reduce the impact of predation on native wildlife. We want to encourage coyote removal efforts during this critical period.

The coyote (Canis latrans) is a non-native predator that can be found in every county in Georgia and has the unique ability to live in a variety of habitats. Trapping and/or hunting are legal and recommended methods for managing coyotes. Because they did not historically live in Georgia, there is no closed season for their harvest.

HOW DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE GEORGIA COYOTE CHALLENGE?

• Participants may bring a coyote carcass to one of the following offices (Monday-Friday, between 8 am – 4:30 pm, excluding holidays):
  • Participants can submit up to five coyotes for five entries in the contest in a single month.
  • Participant must be present during submission of coyote.
  • Coyotes must have been killed between the first and last days of the submission month. Road-kills, spoiled carcasses, and live coyotes are not eligible.
Coyote carcasses will be returned to participant, who must ensure its' proper disposal. Some disposal guidelines provided here.

The DNR sure can lame up a good idea.

Why not let the local DNR Ranger check the kills?
I wouldn't drive to Dublin for a lifetime hunting license for free, much less ride with a stinking dead Yote for an entry in some random drawing.

I kill, or shoot at every one I see, and leave them where they drop.
If they are in the pasture, a gut shot will allow them to drag themselves off.
The ones I've killed smelled pretty bad.

There's more spots than Dublin, but still,none near me. I'm not driving halfway across the state to check in a stinking dog. Plus I believe they're only open Monday thru Friday and I work. Not really feasible for me.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, Putnam County Commissioner used to give $2.00 for a fox's tail, and Baldwin county gave $2.00 for the ears.

If the DNR really wanted to get aggressive on the Yote problem, there would be a bounty issued.

The DNR sure can lame up a good idea.

Why not let the local DNR Ranger check the kills?
I wouldn't drive to Dublin for a lifetime hunting license for free, much less ride with a stinking dead Yote for an entry in some random drawing.

I kill, or shoot at every one I see, and leave them where they drop.
If they are in the pasture, a gut shot will allow them to drag themselves off.
The ones I've killed smelled pretty bad.

The Wildlife Resources Division-Game Management Section is sponsoring this program. Probably some biologist trying to get a handle on the coyote population in the State, but failing to consider DNR-LE as being available to verify making the program more accessible to hunters. I'm in agreement- Regional WRD offices are just that- regional. DNR-LE are available in all 159 counties. You should contact your local state representative and complain about this and ask that they contact DNR Commissioner Mark Williams to get the LE Division involved. State reps have tremendous sway in getting changes made quickly to state programs and this one could easily be amended to your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom