• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia elk

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
Elk were once native to Georgia. Other Eastern states have elk seasons. Elk hunting opportunities in western states are becoming less and less with western residents losing out because nonresidents can't stay home. Why can't GA DNR provide elk hunting opportunities in GA?

Could they? Sure. There are huntable populations in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Missouri just had its first season. The herd in Tennessee is growing rapidly though I’m not sure if they have opened a season there yet. I would be pretty shocked if the Tennessee herd doesn’t stretch down into North GA in the next 10-20 years. That is without GA DNR introducing them. Elk do quite well in the Appalachian Mountains due to not really having predation as well as the abundant forage. The lack of elevation in the range allows for vegetation being readily available year round. Does GA DNR want to? I doubt it at the current time. Introduction or in this case re-introduction of a species can be very polarizing. I doubt they want the headache. If it naturally progresses that a huntable herd develops, I’m sure they will be quick to capitalize as I’m sure they would love the $$$.

I can't imagine running into a elk with my truck. Liability could be a problem, Georgia claims it owns the wildlife in the state.

One reason that would be difficult is GA is way down on the list of the amount of land in the state that is public.

Ranks 33rd out of 50 in fact with only 9.7% of it open to the public. And it would be less than that if it were not for a couple of national forests. Between lack of public land and population density, I think it would be difficult to sustain a huntable population of Elk.

There is a big difference between whitetails in the suburbs and Elk.

Back
Top Bottom