• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

German dagger real or replica

Looks right to me but someone has improperly cleaned The Blade (will not hurt value much).
I would need Pictures of all marks and all mount points: Like Screws, inlays, Markings (no matter where they are).
These are easy to fake but yours looks real and I usually go with my gut on these till I actually put my eyes on them.
Nice Dagger.

Looks right to me but someone has improperly cleaned The Blade (will not hurt value much).
I would need Pictures of all marks and all mount points: Like Screws, inlays, Markings (no matter where they are).
These are easy to fake but yours looks real and I usually go with my gut on these till I actually put my eyes on them.
Nice Dagger.
Thanks, I’ll try to post some better pictures of connecting points and hardware.

There's another category of German knives and daggers other than (1) pure original wartime production ones, and
(2) pure fakes.

Some knife factories re-opened immediately after the war and begin producing these daggers again and they gave them dates and markings that would indicate they were produced by the Nazi government during war time, when they were actually being produced by an allied-occupied Germany immediately post war.
The GI's Couldn't get enough of these souvenir blades to bring home so the Germans accommodated the Allied soldiers by making special batches for them, to sell to the GI's and hopefully to sell internationally once everything stabilized and international commerce got going again, Mail-order delivering these daggers to customers around the world.

My dad brought home such a Hitler youth knife that he acquired just weeks before shipping out of Germany a couple of months after the war ended and once he got back to the states he had it appraised for insurance purposes and the knife expert explained to him that it wasn't worth as much as he would've thought because of its postwar production, EVEN THOUGH it was made at the same factory using the same materials and tooling as the wartime built ones, and possibly made by the same people, the same staff, at the factory.

Back
Top Bottom