• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get a compass

I have one that looks like that but a brass colored finish. Appears well made. I admit, I have no idea how to use it for orienteering.

I don't really think orienteering would be a big deal unless you're far from any known landmarks. Most of the stories of people getting really lost didn't have even a basic kit with them. Really goes to show the need for the essentials though. One lady got off trail to pee and died later from starvation 1/2 mile from the trail (they found her with a journal). Sheesh.

Anyway, I think it's worth a 10min vid though. There's a lot more to the advanced stuff but this girl does a good job with the basics.

It's unfortunate, but that's how the trend seems to go these days. Quality companies can't compete with cheap Chinese products, then get bought out by people from China to profit from the original's reputation.

It won't be long before people start making a habit of not buying Chinese products.

The trend is reversing some. I tried to put together a gift of US made tools for someone 10yrs ago and couldn't afford to do it. A few years ago, I tried again and was able to find a number of basic tools US made for reasonable price.

I was just informed that they are made in China and I can not in good faith recommend a product made there…
Thanks for the update but don't sweat it, it's tough to keep track of how company names get bought out or where they change their manufacturing to. I make a reasonable effort to buy non-Chinese made but it's basically impossible to do all the time.

Back
Top Bottom