• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting bored with sports

I used to be the biggest sports nut in the world. I watched pretty much every sport (pro and college) except for golf (which isn't a sport anyway :D). Not sure if they still do it, but ESPN used to rerun Sportscenter in the mornings from 9 - 12, and I'd watch the same show at least twice and sometimes a third time just to make sure I didn't miss anything... :der:

I got sick of the unions and the constant whing about money and strikes. But the 1997 Dennis Scott meltdown (video below) was the final straw. I just up and quit watching all sports cold-turkey, and I haven't watched any of it since. I don't miss anything, and my wife is much, much happier. Occasionally I'll watch boxing or MMA, because they earn their money, but that's about it. Personally I'd rather be doing my own exercise and competing.

Watching sports and being a fan of any specific team or player is plain wasted time and money for adults.
There is no benefit (except of course for the owner and players)

Maybe your going about it the wrong way. Nothing better the egging on my Auburn fan friends against my Bama friends
then sitting back with a cold beer and watch the action.

Not into watching other people play games. I'll "watch" sports, but as part of an activity with other people (yeah I know that makes me sound like a girl), or for something to take a nap to on a Sat./Sun. afternoon. I used to like going to stadiums for the people watching and ambiance, but quality went down and prices went up, so thats no fun anymore. Maybe when my kids get older and get into sports. Even being in small-time sports can be fun and entertaining. Now a days when I see big-time pro and esp. UNIVERSITY football, all I see is the millions of dollars that are not doing something more useful than amusing old rich people.

When the Coliseum was doing the games for the Romans, Rome was starving. (How else did we figure out to eat artichokes?) A message was received from a ship procuring animal for the circus; shall we bring food for the people? Or animals for the circus?

The answer was swift and firm. Don't be silly! Animals for the circus!

It's more important to keep the population distracted from the real issues than to feed the masses. How different is it today?

Back
Top Bottom