getting first bow

rugerceltics13

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
buddy of mine has a martin compound bow he's wanting to get rid of (not sure which model yet). but i want to know what do i need to know in buying my first bow?

i'm clueless in this, i've googled stuff, but i need some1 to break it down for me in dummy terms

what do u mean by make sure it fits?

Make sure it fits your body, arm length, strength. You cant just pick up someone elses bow and think it will hit the same mark. Need to take it to a bow shop and have draw length and weight adjusted for you. My first bow Was a Martin, loved it, but they have come along way since that one.

isn't the rule of thumb that the bow be close to my height but not the same height as me? i'm comfortable shooting his bow, and he said that he can adjust the weight on it for me any time i like

The draw length is the most important part. When you draw back the string the it should come back to the corner of your mouth.

Maybe if your using a long bow will it be that tall. But definitely not for a compound.

when i draw it, it comes back maybe 4 inches behind my neck at it's max weight pull, is that too far?

Is it a compound bow or a long bow? Typically for a compound bow, you would use a mechanical release, and locate an anchor point on your jaw (something repeatable), if the bow string is behind your neck you will not be able to aim consistently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom