• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gifting a car questions

Radar363

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I have a 2006 suv that my youngest son has been driving and I decided to just give it to him.
Couple of questions- I have the title with the lienholders release letter but forgot to transfer it into just my name. I can't seem to find if I can do that online or do I need to go to a DDS customer service center. Is there any way to just transfer it directly into his name? Does it need to be done in the county where it's registered? Does that need to be notarized? Because he is in PA and I am currently in Savannah.
I am basically just trying to get it in his name so he can decide to keep it, sell it, or trade it in on something newer.
Thanks.

An immediate family member may or may not have to pay the TAVT when s/he purchases the car from you. An "immediate family member" is defined as your spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild. You and your family member will have to complete an affidavit affirming that you are immediate family members.

An immediate family member may or may not have to pay the TAVT when s/he purchases the car from you. An "immediate family member" is defined as your spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild. You and your family member will have to complete an affidavit affirming that you are immediate family members.
That's in GA. Him living in PA probably changes that. My wife inherited a car from her mother in NY, was a bi@@@ getting it into GA. We also had to pay VAT tax as it had never been collected in GA. From that experience I would say if you can get the title released and into his name in GA it should make his life a lot easier when he registers it in PA. Also gifting it in GA you shouldn't have to pay VAT. At the very least get a clean copy of the title in your name first.

That's in GA. Him living in PA probably changes that. My wife inherited a car from her mother in NY, was a bi@@@ getting it into GA. We also had to pay VAT tax as it had never been collected in GA. From that experience I would say if you can get the title released and into his name in GA it should make his life a lot easier when he registers it in PA. Also gifting it in GA you shouldn't have to pay VAT. At the very least get a clean copy of the title in your name first.
He still has his GA drivers license as he just recently moved back there.
How exactly do I get the title in just my name? With both my other cars the titles were sent to me in just my name so I never had to deal with that.

The title should be in your name already, just look at the front. For the lien holder there should be a release on the back side signed off.(if it is).
just go down to the tag office and sign it over to your boy should not have to pay any tax for family transfer (just did this for my grand daughter) just tag fees.

Not sure about the out of town mess, but the above responses sound great. What I do know is that you need to go to your tag office, not the DDS. You might actually start there, if convenient, to put you on the right track...

The title should be in your name already, just look at the front. For the lien holder there should be a release on the back side signed off.(if it is).
just go down to the tag office and sign it over to your boy should not have to pay any tax for family transfer (just did this for my grand daughter) just tag fees.
This^^^

Did the same thing for my mom, i will say i had to fill out a BOS for them

I have a 2006 suv that my youngest son has been driving and I decided to just give it to him.
Couple of questions- I have the title with the lienholders release letter but forgot to transfer it into just my name. I can't seem to find if I can do that online or do I need to go to a DDS customer service center. Is there any way to just transfer it directly into his name? Does it need to be done in the county where it's registered? Does that need to be notarized? Because he is in PA and I am currently in Savannah.
I am basically just trying to get it in his name so he can decide to keep it, sell it, or trade it in on something newer.
Thanks.

The PA thing may be a PITA for taxes and safety inspection depending on where in PA. He needs to check on what it's going to cost where he's going to register it.

Back
Top Bottom