GlockGirl shot a turkey and now we need to cook it

BangBang

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
57   0
Reaction score
@GlockGirl got her first turkey the other day and she brought this over tonight. We're gonna cook it up tomorrow and thought we would ask yall for some recipes and tips for doing it right. So what does the ODT suggest?
IMG_20160430_203358.jpg

For those that missed it, here's the thread about her hunt:
Gobble Gobble!!

Wild turkey is a very lean meat it will dry out fast . I like it smoked myself with Cajun seasoning,, let it brown up a lil then wrap it in fold and finish it smoking

cut the breast cross grain into strips, lightly beat with meat tenderizer, mix buttermilk with a little hot sauce , dip turkey, flour and deep fry . best chicken tenders you will ever eat . just make sure you cut it cross grain ,if not it will be tough .
If it were whole I would brine it and smoke it over pecan. Otherwise do this ^^^^

Slice the breast and fry it.
Make biscuits and gravy and other good stuff like field peas and greens to round out the meal.

For the dark meat cook it slow until the meat falls off the bones. The legs will have a bazillion bones.
After deboning I like to make sandwiches with it with mustard based barbecue sauce.

Though great tablefare, A wild turkey aint no butterball

Slice the breast (butterfly style) stuff with cream cheese, fold over place a jalapeño on top, wrap with bacon and grill (green egg style if you can). Perfect!.!.

Whole bird recipe cooked in the Big Green Egg:
Inject a cleaned, whole bird with Tony Sacherie's Creole butter injectable marinade.
Cover the outside with the rub of your choice.
Next, place it in a shallow pan filled with chicken broth and chopped onions.
Cooking time varies with weight of the bird, but normally mine cooks them in 4 hrs at 350 degrees. I check internal temp with a thermometer and go by what is recommended for chicken.
I've cooked our Thanksgiving turkey this way for the last 2 years and it is awesome. I won't ever cook it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom