• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Good book for beginner skeet shooter

mikev

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
Can anyone please recommend me a good book I can study to start shooting skeet/trap. I'm not interested in competition level, just something useful for beginners/mid level shooters.

I have some books but they are more encyclopedic - here is a trap field, you shoot 25 shots, 5 from each station.

First I would decide on which of the disciplines you want to focus on, and then spend some money to spend time with a certified instructor, not Larry at the skeet club. Spending money with an instructor is a wash with all the shells you would bust trying to figure it out on your own.

Cherokee Gun Club is near you, has excellent facilities, and probably has some certified instructors. It also has a good sporting clays course.

I haven't kept up with it, but used to, Wolf Creek on the south side of Atlanta was the center of skeet shooting in North Georgia, and had world class instructors.

Books for skeet?
I say used hardcover books from Goodwill or Salvation Army.
Get the full sized ones, until you build up your skill.
Have a friend chuck them for you. Scotch-tape the book closed if you want it to get out past 10 yards or so. A solid hit ought to rip the tape and the book will pop open and the pages will flutter.

man-throwing-a-book-stock-photos_csp2437633.jpg

In 1976 I was in the same boat. There were 2 paperback books that I relied on to teach myself, one by Fred Missildine, the other by Lee Braun. I liked Fred's book better. They are both long since out of print and very hard to find. Perhaps a large library might have them. Both men were "team shooters" one for Winchester, the other for Remington. I can't recall the exact titles, but they were pretty simple like "Learn to shoot skeet with ...... These books were sort of promotional items published by the gun companies, but were pretty complete. I think Braun's book also included Trap shooting.

The only other thing was I shot at the Peoria IL Skeet and Trap club with Al Stutzman and his daughter Becky and Eddie Dean.....all 3 are in the IL Skeet Hall of Fame. I probably picked up a ton of stuff from them without realizing it. I was just a beginner but they allowed me into their group a little bit. In 1977 the four of us shot more NSSA targets in competition than anyone else in IL. This was shot AT, not HIT for a score. They were shooting 99-100, I was shooting in the 90-95 range depending on gauge.

i was privileged to meet and take lessons from Fred Misseldine. The biggest problem is that it was like taking pitching lessons from Greg Maddox.

His book is a good one if you want to shoot American skeet. It's available in paperback for a modest price. The original hardback is very spendy

BTW, this is what Misseldine did with a Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun,

Missildine finished his illustrious career with a phenomenal 98.6 lifetime average. During his competitive years, he fired at 28,425 targets and missed only 327.

"Skeet Shooting with D. Lee Braun", one of the best of old Remington Pro Shooters, is STILL the most concise book of instruction on the most successful method for breaking LOTS of Skeet Targets.

It's not real easy to find and can be expensive when you do find it, but it is STILL very relevant today, particularly when you make allowances for Braun showing the "Old School" low-gun method that's no longer required by the rules of the game--If you were to adjust the "Hold Points" Braun uses for shooting with the Gun pre-mounted, you would have the exact same method of shooting that's used by 90% of good A, AA & AAA-Class shooters today. GET THAT BOOK!

I had the previledge to attend a couple classes,
EF9B569A-5478-4D5C-92CB-AA9E4596E368.png
don’t know if he ever wrote any books,look up some u tubes he was the best I ever seen.

Today's Trivia.....Robert Stack, the actor, star of The Untouchables, was a world class skeet shooter. He taught AA gunners on US Navy ships how to shoot at flying targets....[insert Jap Zeros here]. No difference in shooting down airplanes or skeet targets.

Back
Top Bottom