• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got my new Criterion 308 Barrel yesterday.

The only hand lapped barrel I've had is the .277 Wolverine barrel I mentioned earlier. Definitely seems accurate and very easy to clean. I also have a Ballistic Advantage barrel that has been a bit disappointing in accuracy. Would something like the Tubbs Final Finish system be worth looking into or would that do more harm than good?
No idea, I'd buy a better barrel.

H
Isn't that round very close to the 6.8spcll. I have three 6.8's and it's my favorite round by far. I have built three with ARP barrels but I don't currently have one with ARP. My 18 inch Wilson Combat Super Sniper shoots between .025 and .050 with 110 gr. Pills and IMR 8208 XBR. If I am on that day closer to .025. I also have a 14.7 inch WC S2W ratio barrel and then a Daniel Defense CHF chrome lined 16 inch for extended engagements ( hypothetically speaking of course).
Yes, similar velocities to 6.8 but it still uses a standard size AR bolt. It can also be loaded with heavier bullets to get similar performance to 300 black but It really shines with 85 to 110 grain bullets at supersonic velocities. My favorite load for it currently uses a 90 grain speer tnt. I'm getting 3/4 inch groups but I'm fairly certain with a better shooter it could do better.

No idea, I'd buy a better barrel.
I have heard a lot of competition shooter use the Kroil and abrasive compound to polish their barrels. I can't remember the abrasive name but Brownells sells the kit. Then you buy the jag and little round swabs to put the oil and abrasive on..Or you can wrap a patch around a tight fitting brass bore brush and do it that way. Making sure not to go all the way to the muzzle, just short of. With the ballistic Advantage they're such a high production company that it's a hit or miss situation with their barrels. I go with at least a there Hanson profile and I haven't got one a bad one yet ( out of 4 or 5 ) but if I did I would send it back and get a different one.

They have a special Jag that's threaded to put the cleaning patches on and they do sell 6.8 diameter. If you're not completely satisfied with that Barrel it's worth a shot.

I shoot brux and Bartlein barrels
If I had a barrel that I had to hand lap myself after receiving it I would send it back and if it didn’t shoot good I would definitely send it back.
The only barrel that I had that wouldn’t shoot good was a Shilen.

I shoot brux and Bartlein barrels
If I had a barrel that I had to hand lap myself after receiving it I would send it back and if it didn’t shoot good I would definitely send it back.
The only barrel that I had that wouldn’t shoot good was a Shilen.
You must be a competitive shooter. Too much money only for a multipurpose gun. Hunting, home defense and range plinking. I get .025 -.075 is fine for what I do. Spending the kind of money you're putting out just can't be justified for my needs.

I think I am going to buy my BCG next and looking on Snipers Hide site everyone tend to agree that Toolcraft, Rubber City Armory, Rainer Arms and AO are pretty much the go too's for 308 bolt carrier groups. I am thinking Toolcraft since I have two of those and they are excellent 5.56 and 6.8spcll in accuracy. Of course I will strip the bolt and check head space. If there is a problem I can go with a enhanced bolt from JP but if I can get by with it I would like to try the Toolcraft one first. The last time I built a 308 I paid damn near 400 bucks for one and I don't remember for the life of me who made it. I was also in a much better situation financially. Any nay Sayers here for a Toolcraft piece for a LR308 build for my Criterion barrel? No exotics just a Toolcraft nitride BCG directly from Toolcraft.

Back
Top Bottom