• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GPS automoblile tracker

All 200+ units in our fleet are tracked
Verizon GPS units , plug into the OBD then put under dash . It has another pigtail to replace the OBD so you dont even know it is there. Last as long as the battery in the car has a charge.
And cars nowadays are more computer on wheels that car.
I can read fuel level, tire pressure, engine temp, speed , seatbelt, etc.
Heck I can even read if the car throws a code remotely.
You would have to be able to get into the car, but it you install with a little tie you will never know it is under the dash

if you want simple , Life 360 tracks family cell phones and shows speed and locations

TMobile and Metro PCS have OBDII trackers. You can buy an OBDII extension if you want to plug it in and hide it. Costs $10 a month and on the plus side also gives vehicle diagnostics, allows you to set up geo fences and speed alert notifications. They also have a similar item for tracking that uses the same service but is like a puck and you have to charge it every 7 days I believe. Service is called SyncUp

All 200+ units in our fleet are tracked
Verizon GPS units , plug into the OBD then put under dash . It has another pigtail to replace the OBD so you dont even know it is there. Last as long as the battery in the car has a charge.
And cars nowadays are more computer on wheels that car.
I can read fuel level, tire pressure, engine temp, speed , seatbelt, etc.
Heck I can even read if the car throws a code remotely.
You would have to be able to get into the car, but it you install with a little tie you will never know it is under the dash

if you want simple , Life 360 tracks family cell phones and shows speed and locations

I've done some research and obd hookup would be good, but unfortunately not an option in this case.

Serious question.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with a GPS automobile tracker?

Hoping against hope to keep this on point as there is serious need here.
I was a PI for a while. Depending on the cause… If we’re tracking a kid, the tracker might work. If it’s a spouse, you’re only going to get location and like someone said, it won’t help you in court. Also check the laws in your state. Is putting a tracker on a spouse’s car legal? All of this could be addressed by talking to an attorney. Frankly, the worst cases I dealt with were ones that the client wanted to play investigator and spooked the subject.

If you see a probable court battle, get an attorney and let them hire the PI. Keeps your hands clean. Keeps emotion out of the picture and reduces chances of someone doing something stupid. If it’s just to catch your significant other doing something wrong… This says trust is lost. If there is no trust, do you need a tracker to tell you what to do?

what was the real battery life?

i see some units claim 10,000 hours. But that's if the unit is standing still . 0n standby.

Assume they are like cell ph., if they are tracking, they are using power

i

If they're claiming 10,000 hours they're just giving you ping locations. It's not giving you constant updates more than likely.

There are some legal things to consider. You can't put a tracking device on a vehicle you Don't own.

what was the real battery life?
i see some units claim 10,000 hours. But that's if the unit is standing still . 0n standby.
Assume they are like cell ph., if they are tracking, they are using power
i
Never had one go dead, which would've been real bad if we couldn't locate to retrieve it. It's been a while, but I think we were swapping them around the 2-3 wk mark. We could monitor battery status and change it accordingly. Unit was pinging on initial move, and then every 30 secs afterwards until it rested for something like 5 mins. Then it would go back into sleep mode. Battery life will depend on how often it pings. I'm sure there are cheaper options out there now that will do just as good. If you're doing a covert install on a car that you are legally allowed to, make sure to zip tie as well. I never trusted the magnetic bases.

Never had one go dead, which would've been real bad if we couldn't locate to retrieve it. It's been a while, but I think we were swapping them around the 2-3 wk mark. We could monitor battery status and change it accordingly. Unit was pinging on initial move, and then every 30 secs afterwards until it rested for something like 5 mins. Then it would go back into sleep mode. Battery life will depend on how often it pings. I'm sure there are cheaper options out there now that will do just as good. If you're doing a covert install on a car that you are legally allowed to, make sure to zip tie as well. I never trusted the magnetic bases.

I've been researching, and I think that is the best option. They aren't that experience, and getting 2 or 3 would be a big deal. Some of them transmit the battery condition. If I could get 2 or 3 weeks withe even a 5 minute ping, that would be good, En route info isn't the goal as much as destination. The projected area is relatively small, and a visual verification would be easy for extended stops. Probably could do it in real time.

Hire a private eye. Wont take him long for find out what you want to know

I'll raise a question that I don't know the answer to without legal research.

Can attorneys in GA legally engage in the work of a private detective without being licensed by the Georgia Board of private detective and security agencies?

If an attorney were to act as his own investigator aside from the potential problem of an attorney on the case needing to testify regarding how a tracking device was placed and how we know the device was working correctly, giving accurate data...

... is there ANOTHER problem with the evidence potentionally being excluded --not for the usual reason of a government agent violating a citizen's 4th Amendment rights, but due to one citizen violating OCGA statutory law (Title 43, Chapter 38) in how the evidence was obtained?

Can attorneys in GA legally engage in the work of a private detective without being licensed by the Georgia Board of private detective and security agencies?

The answer is "yes".

The reason is that the attorney is acting as the agent of his client (hopefully) and so can do anything the client can do. A client can perform the functions of a PI on his own behalf.

I once had a real estate agent tell me I was violating the law by marketing some property of an estate, and he was going to report me to the Georgia Real Estate Commission. Told him to knock himself out.

Likewise an auctioneer told me that I couldn't conduct an auction on behalf of a client. Gave him the same response, got the same reaction, NADA

Whether the evidence could be used in court is another question from whether he can gather it in the first place.

Besides, didn't you watch Perry Mason and watch how Paul Drake functioned?

There are some things which the client can't do, such as prescribe drugs, practice medicine, drive a commercial vehicle, and so the attorney could not do those things either.

Another handy thing is if you have a voice activated digital recorder and leave it in the car .

Whatever they are up to, they will likely be talking about it on their cell phone to someone while they are driving.

Several years ago a co worker of mines wife car broke down and she drove his for a day or two.
He had a dash cam that also did audio.
He downloaded the dash cam every week and heard some very interesting conversations, that raised a lot of suspicion and once he sniffed around a little , he discovered she was leading a double life .
Wouldn’t have believed his stories until I heard the audio.

Back
Top Bottom