• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grandma's sewing machine.

jeep78

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
36   0
Reaction score
I have my Grandma's sewing machine. I keep it set up in a spare room, have used it sporadically for years.

My Grandma was born in the 1800s and lived before there was such a thing as an airplane. I remember her sewing on this machine and turned out some spectacular clothes, drapes, cushions, and blankets. NO ONE touched her machine while she was alive!

No one wanted it when she passed, so I got it. I had to teach myself how to use it, and can sew half way decent to this day. There are all kinds of things you can do. Buy some jeans that are way too long? Not a problem. Shirt too blousy? Taylor it. Even sew some gun stuff and saddle stuff. It it really endless.

What is fascinating is how they work, how they were made and the quality of the parts. Most wear parts are chromed, and everything has the ability to oil the moving parts. I just oiled it as it has been years since I did, and you know what? It runs like a sewing machine!

I imagine what passes for a sewing machine is made in china these days, but this Singer was made in the US of A.

only 100 years old

Attachments

• 20210808_202655.jpg
    20210808_202655.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 46
I have my Grandma's sewing machine. I keep it set up in a spare room, have used it sporadically for years.

My Grandma was born in the 1800s and lived before there was such a thing as an airplane. I remember her sewing on this machine and turned out some spectacular clothes, drapes, cushions, and blankets. NO ONE touched her machine while she was alive!

No one wanted it when she passed, so I got it. I had to teach myself how to use it, and can sew half way decent to this day. There are all kinds of things you can do. Buy some jeans that are way too long? Not a problem. Shirt too blousy? Taylor it. Even sew some gun stuff and saddle stuff. It it really endless.

What is fascinating is how they work, how they were made and the quality of the parts. Most wear parts are chromed, and everything has the ability to oil the moving parts. I just oiled it as it has been years since I did, and you know what? It runs like a sewing machine!

I imagine what passes for a sewing machine is made in china these days, but this Singer was made in the US of A.
All this great advertisement…
Now tell us, “How much for Grandma Sewing Machine?”
Some of us buy antique, you know! lol :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :yo: :yo:

I would like to pass it on to a niece, but do not think I will have any takers.
I was just kidding Brother.
If I were you, would not let a nice piece like this to go away from the family. I learned how to use those machine with my Mom as well. You should start teaching your niece… Let her try some….

I was just kidding Brother.
If I were you, would not let a nice piece like this to go away from the family. I learned how to use those machine with my Mom as well. You should start teaching your niece… Let her try some….
I know what you mean. I am getting to where I am thinking about stuff like this. It was never fancy, just a working tool that will continue to serve long after I am gone.

It was in use when LBJ was a little snot on Capitol Hill, and was in the house where he was staying, but that is another story.

Back
Top Bottom