• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing Sweet Potatoes For the Home Victory Garden

I baked these tonight to find out where they were in the curing process. Based on the sweet flavored syrup that collected onto the foil, I'd say that the curing process is over--3 weeks Friday 10/27. And the potatoes themselves are very tasty.

Attachments

• First baked for testing.jpg
    First baked for testing.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 9
Just as an fyi. Potatoes like to hide and tend to stick around for a couple seasons in my experience. Not particularly familiar with the variety you planted. Your harvest leads me to believe some were hiding from you.

Just as an fyi. Potatoes like to hide and tend to stick around for a couple seasons in my experience. Not particularly familiar with the variety you planted. Your harvest leads me to believe some were hiding from you.
Yes, I plant them through black plastic and this year I made sure that the plastic was 18" from the fence so the vines would run along the fence and set more potatoes which they did. I also found small potatoes while pulling up the okra stalks and quite a few large ones along the fence lines. Suffice it to say that I collected enough volunteer potatoes to fill a weighty cubic foot box. I did find a few more while tilling the garden and blending soil amendments but they got mulched.

Yes, I plant them through black plastic and this year I made sure that the plastic was 18" from the fence so the vines would run along the fence and set more potatoes which they did. I also found small potatoes while pulling up the okra stalks and quite a few large ones along the fence lines. Suffice it to say that I collected enough volunteer potatoes to fill a weighty cubic foot box. I did find a few more while tilling the garden and blending soil amendments but they got mulched.
I planted my sweet potatoes close to 10 years ago. They come back every year stronger than ever. That’s great, always a nice surprise finding more than you bargained for. I usually skip the plastic. Just for water leeching purposes. I’m not big on uv rated plastics.

I planted my sweet potatoes close to 10 years ago. They come back every year stronger than ever. That’s great, always a nice surprise finding more than you bargained for. I usually skip the plastic. Just for water leeching purposes. I’m not big on uv rated plastics.
The black film warms the soil as sweet potatoes are tropical providing an earlier start and often a later harvest. The film also cuts down on the amount of weeding which is not my favorite task.

This will be my second year growing sweet potato's. I'm going to build some drying racks out of hardware clothe and wood frame when I get to that point.

Back
Top Bottom