• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grunts/Calls

If it’s a tube grunt call contract the tube some to make it sound like a younger less intimidating buck. I usually do 3ish short grunts followed by one slightly more drawn out one. I normally start my morning or afternoon with a bleat or two from a can then go into my grunting after and do it in 15-20 minute intervals. I use a custom grunt call but I’ve heard good things about the “Extinguisher” grunt call on other hunting forums. Good luck!

I’ve got a small Primos adjustable reed call I’ve had for years.
It’s only 2.5 “ long but really is a must have depending on your situation.
I’ve used it to call does with fawn bleats, stop bucks with buck grunts or doe grunts.
Busted a nice buck when he and his buddy came running like mad hellfire out of nowhere when I let out two random doe bleats as soon as I got on my ladder a few years back.
I’ve had grunt calls but I really, really like the adjustable reed call.
I’ve used this in conjunction with making noise in the woods because deer are very social and very curious.
For instance How many times were you sure quiet in the woods but made enough noise to have deer come towards you to check you out?
Have you ever tried running to your stand and have deer come run towards you?….I have many times.

This in conjunction with a couple doe grunts can be a killer combo for luring in a buck.
Just little tricks I learned over the years while walk/stalk hunting and going to my ladder or just simply trying new things.

I use the Primos buck roar. I don’t do much of anything beyond what seems to be the typical grunt though.
I like the fact that it can be rather loud when needed on really windy days, where most others would be hard to hear over gusting winds.
I grunted a small buck up with it this past Friday.

I use the Primos buck roar. I don’t do much of anything beyond what seems to be the typical grunt though.
I like the fact that it can be rather loud when needed on really windy days, where most others would be hard to hear over gusting winds.
I grunted a small buck up with it this past Friday.
I use the snort/wheeze side of it also. My old Loman call had the reed fall out of it the other morning it has been around and used so much over the years. Probably over 25 years old, so I got my money's worth out of it.

Back
Top Bottom