• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guard Dogs

I have a large Mastiff that is certainly a deterrent. I almost had to get rid of her because of her aggression towards the other dogs, but I figured a way to keep them separated.

The way I figure, she is very loyal and very protective of the homestead, so she is worth having around, but if it ever gets so bad that I can't feed her, then I will probably be pretty hungry myself, so I can always eat her. She has a lot of meat on her, so I consider her both protector and livestock. It's a win-win. If I eat her, neither of us will be starving anymore. :thumb:

Well on the few occasions I've seen real gaurd dogs they were kept seperate from most people except their handlers. Now I could be wrong but I understand that concept. If it's real working dog then they can't go getting friendly and used to anyone and everyone. But again, I could be wrong.
Dogs are much smarter than most people give them credit for. A well trained dog does not need to be kept separate. They can tell the difference between friend and foe.

I have a Belgiun malinois that is worth her weight in gold when it comes to keeping the homestead safe. She is completely fearless and doesn't react to the sound of gunfire. She's fairly well trained and is sweet to anyone in her pack. I get those huge cow leg bones and put an old shoe on one end and let her hang out in the fenced in front yard. It sends a message. She has a very uncomplicated philosophy on life. Everything is either a member of her pack, a threat or food. Threats can also become food. She's very open minded that way.

Back
Top Bottom