• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gun Cleaning

Is there any good reason for not cleaning your firearm after every use?
yes. I don't want to. Guns are not unusable a little dirty. And I have broken/lost things putting them back together in the past. I want to trust my carry stuff 100% so why wouldn't I fire off a few rounds, stop, load it with my carry ammo, and then trust it? I know I didn't mess anything up and its unlikely a spring or something just broke randomly while being carried.

I have one piece cleaning rod made a carbon fiber. On my AR guns I have caliber specific chamber guides that keep the brush or that little brass end on the cleaning rod from hitting the throat and whatnot. I insert the rod to the point where just the plastic loop or Jag is sticking out of the end of the barrel. I always use plastic tips. Then I mark it with the piece of tape. I have one mark for 16 in barrel and one mark for an 18 inch barrel. I stick my fingers right at the back of that bore guide and when I feel the tape I know that I'm not past the muzzle and just the plastic end is sticking out and then I run it back and forth and so forth. I always make sure that I use a plastic Jag or a plastic patch loop when I clean my guns. So I always clean from the chamber forward making sure not to get any metal contact onto the crown. And I only use a bronze brush or brass brush when it's really dirty or it's not a nitride or stainless Barrel. I clean them after every use and relive the whole gun.

I don't go crazy with the lubrication but I lube what I've cleaned off and anything that's metal on metal contact. If it's a lever action or something that nature I use one of those pull through cleaning jobs that has the little brush in it and I put a little cleaning solvent just before the brush and then after the brush down of ways just to clean one more pass after the brush goes through. Or if I have a piece of empty brass that has a slightly smaller diameter of the muzzle I will cut that in half and stick that cut piece of brass with a piece of tape around it into the muzzle and then use the rod and pass it through the smaller brass so it doesn't hit the muzzle directly. I'm anal about how I use a cleaning rod and all the tips and whatnot so I'm probably going to extremes but I feel better about it.

I clean my guns after every use exactly the same way just in case they don't get shot for an extended period of time. Then I know the gun is ready for action anytime it needs to be deployed. As long as you take the necessary precautions protect the crown and muzzle it's perfectly fine.

I've been doing it that way since I was 10 years old and do it the same way to this day and I've never had anything happen to a gun losing his accuracy from over cleaning.

I run a bore snake through them after shooting... a dab of oil. Field strip after every 500-1000 rds depending on how lazy or energetic I am. Haven't had an issue.
I just can't seem to relax after I go to the range knowing my gun is dirty. I guess that's in excessive compulsive disorder. But I just cannot sit down and relax and start watching TV until every gun I've shot is clean. Then and only then can I sit down and actually relax. Cleaning the gun is actually therapeutic to me. I forget about everything and just concentrate on what I'm doing and it's kind of a way to disconnect. I actually enjoy cleaning them.

Back
Top Bottom