• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gunbroker, advice needed.

Gunbroker and Auction Arms work fine as long as you have plenty of communication and lay out how the transaction will happen BEFORE the auction ends. With handguns, if you do not have a FFL, you will need to find one to ship the handgun for you. A private seller has to ship via UPS. The added cost of shipping without an FFL will put your price out of the market. A FFL can ship USPS. Their cost is reasonable.

45 to 50 bucks to ship next day air saver, or 35 to 40 to have a LGS ship it ..... its 6 in one half a dozen in the other really on who ships

GLWS.

JMO, I'd never go to the USPS and stand in line to buy a MO. I will go to my bank and get a (free) bank check, and I wouldn't argue if a guy wanted to be sure the check cleared before shipping.

Just used it with no problem. I was disappointed in the sales price relative to other sellers with the same item but I think the fact that I had no feedback made some bidders wary. I would suggest selling a few accessories on short auctions if you can and get a few positive feedbacks before listing guns. I wish I had. I got $625 for a gun that I'm seeing sell for $800-ish and I don't know what else to attribute it to. To be fair, $625 is more (not a lot, but some) than I would have received selling it here.

Just my two cents...I would do a five day auction. I do believe you'll achieve the same price point. Also, I would be willing to accept at least cashiers checks, and just tell people you'll hold the weapon until the check clears. My experience is that people paying by check have no problem waiting the few days it'll take for it to clear. Just my opinions though. GLWS!

I've read stories about fake MO and Certified Checks, so I'm a bit weary of those. If you try to cash a fake one, you could could face some consequences. I've done a few transactions on GB and I like taking personal checks because I can walk into a local branch on which the check is written and cash it there. They usually call the account holder to verify and there is no more waiting for payment to clear. I don't like depositing in my account because it takes 3-5 days to clear and if it bounces, you will owe the bad check fee. Now, if the personal check looks iffy, or the names don't match, etc. then don't cash it or you could also face some consequences. I ALWAYS touch base with the buyer/seller via phone as a conversation with someone can be helpful in gauging the transaction.

I let my LGS ship. They charge $20 plus ~$16 ground shipping to ship to another FFL.

MO or Certified Check is OK, as long as it looks official, but I don't know how good the fakes can be as I've never run across one. On Craigslist, they warn you NOT to take any MO or certified checks because they are usually fake.

I have bought and sold over 50 times on Gunbroker and only had one issue when purchasing and the seller allowed me to return the rifle at his expense... DEAL WITH SELLERS THAT HAVE AT LEAST 99% POSITIVE FEEDBACK If selling, ask to be paid by a bank check or money order.... when selling, be sure to disclose that you do not ship until funds have cleared.... doesn't matter what kind of check it is.... Ship through a friendly gunshop and have him INSURE the item... When buying, always insist on additional photos before you start bidding! Be careful bidding on firearms that have a no return policy.....I purchased an Ed Brown Kobra Carry and Wilson on GB and never had an issue.... sold both of them years later for a large profit too......

GB has been my main sell/buy site for years, thats where people with real disposable money goes to buy, junky items very seldom sells or even recieve bids, the more surpreme the item the more bids you'll get. I always sell with NO RESERVE and every time it brings a good bit more than what I wanted, so I'm Happy-Happy-Happy ! IMPORTANT : State your terms PLAINLY or you'll get screwed over fast with all kinds of scams and sob stories fast, there's people waiting for rookies on there.

Back
Top Bottom