• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guns you purchased to use..only for them to become too valuable to use.

I'm more curious to know what people consider "too valuable to shoot."

I shoot my guns. Inexpensive, expensive. Doesn't matter. They get shot.

If you want to invest, invest into the stock market. Or real estate. Or precious metals. Having a few firearms that go for more than what you paid is not an effective investment strategy.
this.

guns keep up ~with inflation. Same with gold. an ounce of gold in 1910 could buy a nice suit or a colt revolver. That same amount of cash today will do about the same. The amount invested in the S&P 500 would be like $844,450 today.

I carry and shoot my expensive guns. I like them, I use them, and I'm willing to lose them in the event that they are taken after I use them for real defense. My carry 1911 wears gold sights and ivory grips. My HD rifle has ~$600 just in the can.

use your ****

Right when the ban ended, I mistakenly bought a Colt LE6920HB. One of 300 made, it was a custom order placed by Ken Elmore at Specialized Armament Warehouse.

Supposedly only half of them made it into civilian hands at that time.

I ended up buying a regular LE6920 to shoot, instead. If I knew what to ask for it, the HB would be for sale.

Edit: Link in case everyone have no idea what I'm talking about. lol.

this.

guns keep up ~with inflation. Same with gold. an ounce of gold in 1910 could buy a nice suit or a colt revolver. That same amount of cash today will do about the same. The amount invested in the S&P 500 would be like $844,450 today.

I carry and shoot my expensive guns. I like them, I use them, and I'm willing to lose them in the event that they are taken after I use them for real defense. My carry 1911 wears gold sights and ivory grips. My HD rifle has ~$600 just in the can.

use your ****
Apparently my beater daily carry pistol is considered a [Holy] Grail pistol worth $5000 (granted that’s NIB)

IMG_0203.jpg

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/998597337

To me it’s my daily carry with ivory grips (that I added). The original owner (I’m the 2nd) was a Dallas Tx district court judge that bought this new in ‘88 and carried daily under his robe. I searched him on the internet and he was the real deal, so I’d have to accept he wasn’t lying stating he carried it in court while sentencing people to life in prison. Part of his email address was FrostyFellow -I can only guess he wasn’t lenient.

He liquidated his collection towards end of life as he had no heirs who would appreciate what they were given (firearms related). I also bought a shoulder stock for a Browning Hi Power from him. He owned a transferable .380 Ingram, I own a similar transferable m11/9 so that added to our email conversation.

Carried this daily since I bought from him years ago. Check out Muddy River Tactical holsters. Soft IWB leather holsters priced right.

Pocket knife is a Microtech Cypher should anyone wonder…

IMG_6164.jpeg

Apparently my beater daily carry pistol is considered a [Holy] Grail pistol worth $5000 (granted that’s NIB)

View attachment 6046299

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/998597337

To me it’s my daily carry with ivory grips. The original owner (I’m the 2nd) was a Dallas Tx district court judge that bought this new in ‘88 and carried daily under his robe. I searched him on the internet and he was the real deal, so I’d have to accept he wasn’t lying stating he carried it in court while sentencing people to life in prison. Part of his email address was FrostyFellow -I can only guess he wasn’t lenient.

He liquidated his collection towards end of life as he had no heirs who would appreciate what they were given (firearms related). I also bought a shoulder stock for a Browning Hi Power from him. He owned a transferable .380 Ingram, I own a similar transferable m11/9 so that added to our email conversation.

Carried this daily since I bought from him years ago. Check out Muddy Creek holsters. Soft IWB leather holsters priced right.

Pocket knife is a Microtech Cypher should anyone wonder…

View attachment 6046320
Great story

Arsenal AK’s, preban polytech AK’s. Bought those years back in bunches just for shooting since I am a huge AK fan. Out 7 I bought total, only 1 had 3 mags thru it. Other 6 still NOS in boxes. Bought few crappy AK to statisfy my fun. Also like someone mentioned any milsurp. People are stupid what they are paying for them now.

I was an M.P in the army and carried a Rem- Rand that would rattle if you shook it. I promised myself when I got home I would buy a new Colt Government series 70. I did it cost $277.00 out the door in 1977 or 78. I have shot it about 400 rounds worth. I even put an idiots mark on it before I new what that was. Oh to be young and stupid. I will never sell it!

I'm more curious to know what people consider "too valuable to shoot."

I shoot my guns. Inexpensive, expensive. Doesn't matter. They get shot.

If you want to invest, invest into the stock market. Or real estate. Or precious metals. Having a few firearms that go for more than what you paid is not an effective investment strategy.
Someone tried to tell me that many years ago.
Did I listen?
Afraid not.
But I truly enjoyed every minute of hoarding, trading, hunting, collecting, fondling, and shooting.
Of the ones I shoot,I became proficient with.
The ones I don't shoot, I'm glad I own.
Hard to put a price on happiness of ones hobby.
Could I own a Gun Shop or Pawn Shop?
Hell no. I'd starve and go bankrupt.
I'd never want to sell half the stock that I took in.
Especially the old school, stainless,blue steel, nickle, and walnut classics of the last half of the 20th century.
But as I get older, with only 1 potential heir, who is responsible enough to recieve what I've collected.
Even though she shoots sometimes with me, she can't appreciate most of what I've accumulated.
She will have what I think she needs that I have not already provided.
But I'm beginning to think maybe soon to liquidate a few here and there. Hard to accept the fact your not 21 and immortal anymore.
Maybe more difficult for some than others

Someone tried to tell me that many years ago.
Did I listen?
Afraid not.
But I truly enjoyed every minute of hoarding, trading, hunting, collecting, fondling, and shooting.
Of the ones I shoot,I became proficient with.
The ones I don't shoot, I'm glad I own.
Hard to put a price on happiness of ones hobby.
Could I own a Gun Shop or Pawn Shop?
Hell no. I'd starve and go bankrupt.
I'd never want to sell half the stock that I took in.
Especially the old school, stainless,blue steel, nickle, and walnut classics of the last half of the 20th century.
But as I get older, with only 1 potential heir, who is responsible enough to recieve what I've collected.
Even though she shoots sometimes with me, she can't appreciate most of what I've accumulated.
She will have what I think she needs that I have not already provided.
But I'm beginning to think maybe soon to liquidate a few here and there. Hard to accept the fact your not 21 and immortal anymore.
Maybe more difficult for some than others
I'm fairly young, but I've gotten to the point that I keep a few fun guns to play with, and I've been turning the rest of my collection into collectibles. I have an 8yr old and 6mo old that they'll eventually be passed down too. I hope they'll appreciate them, but I've been writing down values for everything should they need $ and want to sell them.

Back
Top Bottom