• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunsmith Benchtop Finish/Material

kf4zht

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
85   0
Reaction score
Working on a new gunsmith bench. Got tired of having to sit down and the limited space for rifles on my older desk one. The new one is standing height, 48x30 top, with drawers and storage for long items like barrels and cleaning rods.

Can't decide on how to finish the top, have a few options. Currently it is 2 sheets of 19/32 BC plywood laminated. Pretty decent heft and the lamination took all the warp out. I do plan on getting some cleaning mats

Considered so far:

Paint - Easiest prep, have a color that most of the cabinets are painted already, easiest to see small parts, not that amazing looking
Stain and shellac - Keep the wood look, however BC plywood aint that nice, more coats
Top with Masonite - replaceable but then I need to edge band it
Top with rubber - Softer on parts, harder to clean and chemicals may affect it
Stain and poly - same as shellac

I don't want to leave it unfinished, it will get stuff soaked in and end up looking like crap. The paint is the easiest but I kinda want to class up the gun area some.

24" wide sheets of Teflon Coated tape. Best ever. Liquids bead up and wipe right off and bench has a nice slick finish that can be brushed right off. Very durable. 7+ years and still good as new.

Back
Top Bottom