H&R Sportsman .22LR Revolver

rjb84

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
22   0
Reaction score
I got this old revolver from my dad (actually the first handgun I ever shot when I was a kid), but it is old and showing it's age more and more. I did some research and figured out from the serial # that it's a first production 6th variation made between 1937-1939, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that parts aren't going to be easy to come by, but I would appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direction. I posted a WTB ad in the classifieds, but I'm sure it will be on page 5 by tomorrow.

I need a new grip, because the old wood one(which I'm not even sure was original) broke in half. The front sight is definitely home made(and not very well) and the rear sight may be also, but it is a little off either from age or being dropped.

After those I'm considering re-blueing it, because it has some rust on the barrel some speckling in a few others. Nothing too bad, but that's in the back of my mind once I get the functional items taken care of. This is my first real project so I'm pretty excited and just hope that it isn't insanely difficult to find parts.

Thanks for any help. Check out my terrible cell phone pictures:

i39.tinypic.com_k4v9rb.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_2yl679s.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_scrpmp.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_voy1yh.jpg

I get a lot of odd ball / old parts off of GB's forum, not the auction site but the forum. They have a "wanted" section thats nationwide and many times people will give/send you parts at no charge. When people are good enough to send a needed part "free" I always send them a box of pecans or peanuts as a thank-you and they seem to really enjoy things they can't get local. Lots of gunsmiths and hobbist are on there. Hope this helps.

You may have to use the old grip as a template and make some. I have some leftover Brazillian teak flooring and could send you a piece of scrap if it would help,or someone close to you that sells flooring would probably give you enough scrap or samples to make a set. Cut em out a little larger than you need with a jigsaw or a coping saw and then sand em down to the size and thickness you need. It's a lot of work but you get the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Thank you all!! BHJ, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up making the grips myself and think I have a decent chunk of walnut to work with. I'm in a toss up between ordering the sights off Numrich and having a local guy just make them for me. It would be nice to have the originals and they aren't out of hand on them. As far as the blueing I was talking to someone else and I think I might go parkerized, but you've got me considering NP3 too. That would look nice and sexy on the ol 9-shooter! I'm not in a huge rush on this one as I'm busy with work and recently an uncle, but I'll definitely post some pictures when I'm done. Until then any other advice is always appreciated.

NEF (New England Firearms) bought out the H&R tooling several years ago. I contacted them to get a replacement rear sight blade for my Dad's Sportsman. Numerich is also a good source.

Back
Top Bottom