• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

had a awesome day in the stand yesterday

sinac84

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
187   0
Reaction score
Im still fairly new to hunting and this is my first season bowing hunting so seeing any game in the woods is exciting (maybe not squirrels). So its about 8am, wind has died down a little and I had just readjusted my stand bc I realized I wasn't quite facing how I should be. Im just sitting there and I get a freakin' herd of deer walk in about 80-90 yards down range on my left. First I see 2 yearling's then momma comes in behind. 5 seconds later a 5-7 point buck comes in trailing. I watch them for about 15-20 minutes just graze around. The buck leaves first and the doe and youngsters hang out for a bit longer and they take off. None of them where even close to my 40 yard marker. Right after that I sit back a little and try to relax when 2 more yearlings and another bigger mature doe comes in and they graze around for about 30-35 minutes and come about 55 yards or so away from me but never close to my 40. I've never been covered up by deer like that before and damnit I wish it was rifle season bc I would love to take a buck as my first deer. Great thing about this whole experience is that those deer had no idea I was there. They were completely relaxed so my pre-hunt prep is good and my movements are slow enough not to tip them off. I never drew my bow but I did have my release ready and my left hand was lightly gripping the bow grip. It was still resting across my stand. So that's what happened on my Saturday morning hunt.

Last edited:
I had watched a good many hunting videos before my first bow kill; which was a 15 yard shot on the ground. I reacted like Stan Potts does. I finally understood why they were shaking and so emotional.

Back
Top Bottom