• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio Operators?

splingbobble

Default rank <750 posts
Land clearing, grading, drainage solutions offered
19   0
Reaction score
Any ham radio guys around? Just wondering if there are any local ham operators around. I’m not a ham operator currently but considering purchasing a small unit. Any one have one for sale, or any advice for someone wanting to get started? I know I would need to get a license, but would like to get one to start understanding how it works and listening at least. Thanks.

I'm licensed so I can answer a few questions, but not as many as the real serious guys with actual radio shacks. I got into it for SHTF communication and then the technical stuff. Plus, there's something fun about throwing out your call sign and getting a random person to answer. You'll have some very interesting conversations. My radios are either vehicle based (Yaesu FTM 400) or handheld (Yaesu FT5DR). With those two alone I'm set for a bug out, overlanding, natural disasters and some cross country stuff (overseas if I go digital).

My first question is what are you wanting to do with it? SHTF (bug out, natural disasters, cell towers down etc..), long range contacts using a radio (cross country, overseas, International Space Station), or technical stuff (tinkering/building radios, software, science, Earth Moon Earth, satellites etc.)?

There are lots of amateur radio clubs around with monthly in person meetings. Where are you located? Just Google search "amateur radio club" or "ham radio club" near me. It's good to join a club especially if just starting out. A lot of clubs will also have events such as fox hunting (locating a broadcasting signal), dxing (a contest where you log contacts), and more.

As far as getting a radio...You do not need to be licensed to listen, but you do to transmit unless it's an emergency. You don't need to spend thousands (this hobby can be very expensive) to get started. Many ham operators start with a basic handheld radio. With a "handitalkie" you'll be limited on range (this depends on many factors such as repeaters near you, digital modes etc.) but you'll have mobility. I personally do not recommend the extremely cheap Chinese Baofeng you see on Amazon (for reasons too lengthy for this post). Both Yaesu and Icom make some of the best ham radios and have really great handhelds for less than $200 (some less than $100). Ham Radio Outlet is an actual store in Doraville with very knowledgeable people and lots of radios to test out. You can also buy a used radio to save some money.

I can go on and on because there's soo much to discuss. Ask questions and I'll answer or if you're close to Alpharetta, Cumming, or Dawsonville we could meet up so you can try them out.

Me and the wife talked about getting into them for a few years because the frs radios not worth squat up in the mtns when trout fishing. They usually have a class at Ga Bushcraft in Watkinsville every year an we talked to those guys and got more interested... my wife studied and got her tech & ive been lagging behind. Been studying the last 3 weeks. We are using the Ham Radio Prep(shes going for general and myself the tech class.) She bought the handheld that The Stoic Noble The Stoic Noble (an thanks for info) has.When I pass my test we will probably join a club in henry county.

I'm licensed so I can answer a few questions, but not as many as the real serious guys with actual radio shacks. I got into it for SHTF communication and then the technical stuff. Plus, there's something fun about throwing out your call sign and getting a random person to answer. You'll have some very interesting conversations. My radios are either vehicle based (Yaesu FTM 400) or handheld (Yaesu FT5DR). With those two alone I'm set for a bug out, overlanding, natural disasters and even some cross country stuff (even overseas if I go digital).

My first question is what are you wanting to do with it? SHTF (bug out, natural disasters, cell towers down etc..), long range contacts using a radio (cross country, overseas, International space station), or technical stuff (tinkering/building radios, software, science, Earth Moon Earth, satellites etc.)?

There are lots of amateur radio clubs around with monthly in person meetings. Where are you located? Just Google search "Amateur radio club" or "Ham radio club" near me. It's good to join a club especially if just starting out. A lot of clubs will also have events such as fox hunting (locating a broadcasting signal), dxing (a contest where you log contacts), and more.

As far as getting a radio...You do not need to be licensed to listen, but you do to transmit unless it's an emergency. You don't need to spend thousands (this hobby can be very expensive) to get started. Many ham operators start with a basic handheld radio. With a "handitalkie" you'll be limited on range (this depends on many factors such as repeaters near you, digital modes etc.) but you'll have mobility. I personally do not recommend the extremely cheap Chinese Baofeng you see on Amazon (for reasons too lengthy for this post). Both Yaesu and Icom make some of the best ham radios and have really great handhelds for less than $200 (some less than $100). Ham Radio Outlet is an actual store in Doraville with very knowledgeable people and lots of radios to test out. You can also buy a used radio to save some money.

I can go on and on because there's soo much to discuss. Ask questions and I'll answer or if you're close to Alpharetta, Cumming, or Dawsonville we could meet up so you can try them out.
Thanks for all the info! I live in Perry, and am mostly just curious. I really want to listen to the broadcasts coming out of the redoubt region. I hear those guys are very active with actual scheduled broadcasts etc.

Thanks for all the info! I live in Perry, and am mostly just curious. I really want to listen to the broadcasts coming out of the redoubt region. I hear those guys are very active with actual scheduled broadcasts etc.
Sounds like a net (weakly meeting on the radio where old men talk about their day lol)

I think you're referring to AmRRON. I'm not involved in anyway with the group, but a simple search will bring up the frequencies they use and their protocols for communication. It's not just ham radio. I'm not going to list them here because they prefer to stay "off the radar" and I have a feeling some of them frequent this site.

Back
Top Bottom