Ham Radio

Stevebob

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
17   0
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread about a Get Home Bag, and noticed there was a lot of people who said to include a Baofeng radio but there was also several people who stated that they were not licensed.

I am posting this to offer my assistance to anyone wanting to learn about these radios, or the licensing test. I am by no means an expert, but I am in contact with alot of other operators who are far more skilled and knowledgable than my self, and I have a pretty decent bit of experience as far as antenna systems go.

If anyone has any general radio questioning or just wants to know the benefits, feel free to respond here or to send me a pm. I cn be a little slow on busy days, but I will try to respond as quickly as possible. 11391195_991464830886058_5815016037937306346_n.jpg 11393279_991836267515581_884092933773607656_o.jpg 11406845_991464850886056_1428566666279928879_n.jpg Shack.jpg

My callsign is KM4CUX

I just tested for my technician (most basic level for those who don't know) and passed it only after a week of studying. I have no means to get into the elaborate and technical aspects of amateur radio operation. I just want to be able to practice the skill of emergency communication legally for when I really need to use it.

I see a lot of individuals into survival/preparation who spend countless hours and dollars investing in firearms/training/ammunition practicing for an event that might cause them to use their firearm. But most of the time, I don't see those individuals spending a fraction of the money and time to learn a possibly more valuable skill such as emergency communication. I spent a week studying for the test, 15 dollars to take the test (about the cost of a box of ammunition) and 44 dollars for a radio and upgraded antenna. With that setup my license is good for 10 years and I can run countless practice communications with minimal costs.

Its not all that complicated to learn how to pass the test. I used QRZ.com for free and passed in a week. Whenever you have the need to get on Facebook/Instagram/Outdoor trader get on the website and take a practice test. I was getting through a whole test in about 10 minutes.

Hello, I am very interested in this as well. I was wanting to get a license from little that i have read about ham, the choices are limitless, and a little overwhelming as to what type of antenna/radio/band/meter one should get into. I have a Baofeng UV-86 and a UV-B2. i have got the Chirp software going and know a little about programming them, but not much else...I am also well aware of not transmitting and have just used them to scan. But any help would be great! Thanks.

Mark

I'm a tech plus ham from the 90s. Ke4fht. I have a truck yaesu radio that I never use except when the sirens are going off and the sky's are dark.

I did just order a uv5r last week since the entire radio is cheaper than a batter pack for my old icom handheld.

I ordered all the accessories too so I need to look into programming soon.

I was reading on survival boards about making a code sheet for your family on Excel. A grid of code words.

I do want to do some range testing and see how far it works with the 16 inch antenna on it.

Hello, I am very interested in this as well. I was wanting to get a license from little that i have read about ham, the choices are limitless, and a little overwhelming as to what type of antenna/radio/band/meter one should get into. I have a Baofeng UV-86 and a UV-B2. i have got the Chirp software going and know a little about programming them, but not much else...I am also well aware of not transmitting and have just used them to scan. But any help would be great! Thanks.

Mark

Sure there are a million radios and antennas and other gear out there but you don't have to worry about all that to get started. A handheld radio that is capable of operating on the 2 meter Ham bad is all you need. Buy or make a cheap antenna for better reception and all the better.

The test is fairly easy, download one of the phone apps for "ham radio tech license study" and you should be good before you can find a testing location. If you have a local club, they can help you get set up for sure. Once you get your license, it is good for 10 years, then you just have to renew no retest needed.

Then once you get set up you can look into the other parts of ham radio, from hamfests(local swap meets) to talking around the world to other hams.

I got my license in 2000 when I was 14.

PM me if you have any questions.

KG4GHN

Currious to hear why the perception is that a 2-meter HT is the only radio you need for a GHB ?

A 2 meter HT is all you need to get started on ham radio. The other guy posted that he would like to get into it but there are so many radios, antennas, and related gear it can get confusing.

Especially if you go to HRO or somewhere like that and it pulls up those $10,000 all in one, every single band imaginable, top of the line radios. It doesn't take anywhere CLOSE to that just to get started.

I started HF on a $400 rig and a homemade OCF dipole and talked all over the place.

I have just a few simple setup, my initial HF rig was a handheld 10m running on an old cb antenna, 4 watts peak, spoke from Alaska to Argentina, and I have the image file for the north ga reapeters for the uv5r and bf 8 hp if anyone is interested

Back
Top Bottom