• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hand stitched

NorthGA_Recon

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
So I saw a post earlier this week about a shop to buy leather and leather working tools (Tandy Leather). I got a wild hair and decided to make the drive out there. 200 bucks later I've got the basic tools, some dye, and some leather. I've done a couple projects so far and I'd have to say, I've been bit by the leather bug.

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

Looks very good!

Did you get a stitching groover and several overstitch wheels? How about an edge slicker wheel?

With a groover and an overstitcher, you can not tell the difference in hand stitching vs machine stitching.

Right now I'm just going to focus mainly on sheaths and holsters. Once I get better I may try a saddle.

I did saddles first, then branched off to sheaths and holsters.

You get so you look at nearly anything and wonder what it would take to cover it in leather. LOL

I did saddles first, then branched off to sheaths and holsters.

You get so you look at nearly anything and wonder what it would take to cover it in leather. LOL
Haha, yeah man I hear ya. I'm thinking about just coming off the hip and buying a sewing machine. Also, I love the way my garage smells.

Once you start making leather items,m you look very critically at stuff being sold. Many times I pick up a belt, holster, etc. and think "what a deal, no way I can make it for that".

Mast harness shop and Weaver Leather are good suppliers I have used. Sadly, most leather is now imported. Muir and McDonnell used to be the best USA tanned leather available, they are no longer in business.

Back
Top Bottom