• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Happy Confederate Memorial Day

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Officially this is Confederate Memorial Day in Georgia, sort of.
For about 150 years, it was an official state holiday. Like the state employees needed another one. However, they all, black, white, in between took it off.
But then it, well, you know "confederate " became a dirty word, and the state changed the name to "State Holiday". But no one really wanted to take a day off between Easter and Memorial Day, and every one wanted to take off the Friday after Thanksgiving, which had never been a state holiday (lower case). State employees byetched for years about having to work the Friday after Thanksgiving when all local government employees got it as a holiday. Most state employees took is as a personal leave day.
Time goes by, Confederate Memorial Day becomes "State Holiday", and then the legislature and governor decide that all those hard working state employees really need that Friday off, so now the State of Georgia celebrates "State Holiday" on the Friday after Thanksgiving, the legislators and governor don't have to take the heat for giving the employees a new holiday.

All of this is true, you can look it up.
I am not a hard core "forget hell" kind of guy, but it does pain me that there are people on this forum who have never heard a public performance of "Dixie".
Dixiehttps://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dixie+song#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fa1f3938,vid:IUjLE_N1Cuc

Dixie

Officially this is Confederate Memorial Day in Georgia, sort of.
For about 150 years, it was an official state holiday. Like the state employees needed another one. However, they all, black, white, in between took it off.
But then it, well, you know "confederate " became a dirty word, and the state changed the name to "State Holiday". But no one really wanted to take a day off between Easter and Memorial Day, and every one wanted to take off the Friday after Thanksgiving, which had never been a state holiday (lower case). State employees byetched for years about having to work the Friday after Thanksgiving when all local government employees got it as a holiday. Most state employees took is as a personal leave day.
Time goes by, Confederate Memorial Day becomes "State Holiday", and then the legislature and governor decide that all those hard working state employees really need that Friday off, so now the State of Georgia celebrates "State Holiday" on the Friday after Thanksgiving, the legislators and governor don't have to take the heat for giving the employees a new holiday.

All of this is true, you can look it up.
I am not a hard core "forget hell" kind of guy, but it does pain me that there are people on this forum who have never heard a public performance of "Dixie".
Dixiehttps://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dixie+song#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fa1f3938,vid:IUjLE_N1Cuc

Dixie
We still celebrate it on April 26th. Eff that ’’long weekend‘’ bs.

1682384331120.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom