• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Has anybody ran into older ammo problems.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
The other day I went to the range and shot a couple AR guns and also broke in my new PSA PA-10 replacement barrel. I put a BA Hanson barrel on and a adjustables gas block and really tamed it down a lot. It was way over gassed from the manufacturer. After which I went to my long slide 1911 in 10mm. When I packed up my ammo I grabbed a box of Armscor 10 mil and a box of Sig 10 mil. First I tried the Armscor ammo. It was purchased back when Ammo was almost non existent. I mean when shelf's were bare. You know when I am referring to. Anyway it wouldn't chamber a round. I could slam the back of the slide and get it to go in but not right by any means. I know it wasn't the gun because it has never done that before. Always a reliable shooter. I went to the Sig ammo and it went through 50 rounds without a hitch.

After we were done shooting it we got to inspecting the ammo from Armscor. It looked like the projectile was just a little bigger than the case. It had a pronounced ring around the case at the bottom of the bullet. It really stuck out on one side. Almost as if the bullet itself was out of spec but they put it in anyway. I even replace the recoil spring to a 22 lb. spring thinking the spring had lost tension over the last 6 or 7 years. The original recoil spring rate is 18.5 lbs. and the slide was way to easy to work for a 10mm. It felt like a 380. The gun ran perfect with the heavier spring but it still wouldn't chamber those Armscor rounds. The ammo is the only reason we could come up with. Because I pooped of a couple of SD rounds I have for it as well with no problems. Have anybody else ran into this issue with stored ammo?

It doesn't sound like the issue is the length of time you stored the ammo - I'd put a set of calipers on it and see if the overall case dimensions are in spec.

I've seen 9mm ammo from time to time where you can see the case slightly deformed from the bullet, but it chambered and shot fine, so don't automatically assume that the bullet itself is oversized. It could just be crappy ammo.

It doesn't sound like the issue is the length of time you stored the ammo - I'd put a set of calipers on it and see if the overall case dimensions are in spec.

I've seen 9mm ammo from time to time where you can see the case slightly deformed from the bullet, but it chambered and shot fine, so don't automatically assume that the bullet itself is oversized. It could just be crappy ammo.
I was just using bullet size as an example of what the cartridge looked like just upon inspection. Crappy ammo is most likely the culprit. After all it is Armscor. Notice I said it looked like. I didn't measure it we just looked it over. It just had that appearance.

The other day I went to the range and shot a couple AR guns and also broke in my new PSA PA-10 replacement barrel. I put a BA Hanson barrel on and a adjustables gas block and really tamed it down a lot. It was way over gassed from the manufacturer. After which I went to my long slide 1911 in 10mm. When I packed up my ammo I grabbed a box of Armscor 10 mil and a box of Sig 10 mil. First I tried the Armscor ammo. It was purchased back when Ammo was almost non existent. I mean when shelf's were bare. You know when I am referring to. Anyway it wouldn't chamber a round. I could slam the back of the slide and get it to go in but not right by any means. I know it wasn't the gun because it has never done that before. Always a reliable shooter. I went to the Sig ammo and it went through 50 rounds without a hitch.

After we were done shooting it we got to inspecting the ammo from Armscor. It looked like the projectile was just a little bigger than the case. It had a pronounced ring around the case at the bottom of the bullet. It really stuck out on one side. Almost as if the bullet itself was out of spec but they put it in anyway. I even replace the recoil spring to a 22 lb. spring thinking the spring had lost tension over the last 6 or 7 years. The original recoil spring rate is 18.5 lbs. and the slide was way to easy to work for a 10mm. It felt like a 380. The gun ran perfect with the heavier spring but it still wouldn't chamber those Armscor rounds. The ammo is the only reason we could come up with. Because I pooped of a couple of SD rounds I have for it as well with no problems. Have anybody else ran into this issue with stored ammo?

You're not alone...

It was ammo that I've had stored for a good long time since the ammo shortage right after the rifle shortage or during. I just chalked it up to second rate ammo being pumped through at high volume and low quality control standards. That was just a guess I don't really know what the problem was other than just crappy ammo.

ARMSCOR is an importer. They sell contracted ammo, sourcing from 3rd world nations. I've written them before to complain about QC issues but never received a response. I avoid it under any and all circumstances. "Master Cartridge" is another brand I avoid like the Covid "vaccines."

I just made that assumption because the ring around the cartridge was very pronounced. I mean pronounced so much that it was really odd. I have never seen anything like that before.

It was ammo that I've had stored for a good long time since the ammo shortage right after the rifle shortage or during. I just chalked it up to second rate ammo being pumped through at high volume and low quality control standards. That was just a guess I don't really know what the problem was other than just crappy ammo.
Never had a problem with 'that' per se but I did have some wolff 45 Auto steel case that jsut would not work in one of my 1911s. The extraction lip on the case was measurebly thinner than a regular brass one and the extractor would 'pick up' but not hold the case tight on extraction and the case got cattywampused in the slide before the ejector could eject it. They were a devil to try and clear out. IIRC it was a Springfield 1911....

Easy (and safe) test with pistol ammo is to take the barrel out of the gun and 'plunk' the ammo in the chamber by hand.

Regarding that video, remember that 9mm headspaces off the case mouth, so the slide not going into battery shouldn't be a surprise if the case is too long.

Back
Top Bottom