• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Has anybody ran into older ammo problems.

I had a similar issue with some of my reloads. My long slide 1911 didn't like to chamber them but they shot fine in everything else. Bullet wasn't over sized though.

I think QC in almost every industry dropped because of the well documented supply chain issues and the quality of employees available in the workforce dropped during Covid. That’s why I wouldn’t buy a car made from 2020-2022…”Covid Cars” is real thing. When did you buy that ammo again?

I think QC in almost every industry dropped because of the well documented supply chain issues and the quality of employees available in the workforce dropped during Covid. That’s why I wouldn’t buy a car made from 2020-2022…”Covid Cars” is real thing. When did you buy that ammo again?
Excellent deduction!

Oh it's been several years ago. It was during the time that the ammo shortage was really bad. When 223 and 9 mm and 45 ammo was really really hard to get. It's when the guys there at Cabela's we're buying all the ammunition up for themselves or we came to that conclusion on here between some of us. I mean it was really bad. During the time where you could go to adventure outdoors and all those rows of ammo were just empty and they were limiting 22 long rifle rounds to one box per customer. I happen to find some during that time and just snagged it just to have something in storage. I think I have three or four boxes of it.

I took out a set of veneer calipers and I measured two cases down near the rim or rimless part on the Armscore and also on the Sig ammo. The dementions of the cases on both are consistent. When I move the round down to where the bullet bottom is seated it does not change on the Sig ammo. When I do the same on the Armscor ammo there is a .004 case variation at that point. Also the case thickness at the opening is thicker on the Armscore ammo. So much so when I set the calipers and lock it down in the Sig ammo the Armscor ammo won't slide through. It will go in near the bottom but if I try to insert the cartridge at the bullet and try sliding it down it hangs where the case starts. I hope you understand that how I explained it.

Never had a problem with 'that' per se but I did have some wolff 45 Auto steel case that jsut would not work in one of my 1911s. The extraction lip on the case was measurebly thinner than a regular brass one and the extractor would 'pick up' but not hold the case tight on extraction and the case got cattywampused in the slide before the ejector could eject it. They were a devil to try and clear out. IIRC it was a Springfield 1911....
I don't think it being a Springfield had anything to do with it. I have honestly owned five or six Springfield A1 loaded 1911's and I never had an issue with any ammo out of those guns. They ran reliable shot after shot after shot and I never had a problem with any of the five or six that I owned. I can't remember how many exactly I owned but at one point I had three springfields and I have bought and sold many more since then.

Reading up on the 10mm in my Lyman Bible:

Case opening should be .423in diameter and the case length .992in. The spec also warns against reducing the case length below that due to pressure concerns.

"A modest taper crimp is also suggested"

(i.e. don't roll crimp)

Let's just see here. That's exactly what I am getting on the Sig ammo. The Armscor is just a hair over that at the case opening. However, on the Armscor when you slide the calipers down towards the bottom it catches right there where the bottom of the projectile is. It opens the calipers up almost to .428 and then past that back to right on .423. The Sig is .423 from top to bottom. No variation whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom