• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Has anyone hunted elk in Montana?

ToyotaDude22

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
195   0
Reaction score
Hey gang

I am a fairly new hunter. Unfortunately it wasn't something my family did growing up and so everything I am learning is through research and asking a lot of questions. I get that people don't want to give up their prized hunting spots, but I was lucky enough to pull a general elk tag in Montana this year and I would love any and all advice I can get. While I know I may do better soliciting feedback on Rokslide or HunterTalk, I figure there is a chance someone here has hunting Montana before and can give me some advice or guidance.

Ive camped in the rockies before but haven't had to navigate a dense grizzly bear population while hunting so I am hoping to identify a few spots that have less brown bear activity than around the parks. I will be camping with a friend who is certainly more experienced than I am, but also hasn't hunting elk out west before. Our intent is the camp fairly close to the truck and spend each day hiking in and out with lighter packs.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you're local to Canton, ill buy you a beer. Thanks everyone!

Which part of the state will you be hunting? Make sure to get into spectacular shape before going. Consider doing hikes around your area with the pack you'll be hearing. Doing stairs helps a lot too. Depending on where you'll be, I may have some contacts for you. Best of luck!

Which part of the state will you be hunting? Make sure to get into spectacular shape before going. Consider doing hikes around your area with the pack you'll be hearing. Doing stairs helps a lot too. Depending on where you'll be, I may have some contacts for you. Best of luck!
We haven’t settled on a particular area and are certainly open to suggestions. Really any public land that doesn’t require a specialty permit is free game. We have discussed the south west part of the state along the Idaho border but we also like the idea of being somewhat close to Bozeman since my wife and I just bought some land in Manhattan just north of Bozeman.

Any contacts you have would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and yes, definitely training for it. I’ve been doing hikes with my pack in and generally stay in pretty good shape, but I know packing out an elk will be pretty exhausting.

I wish Joy and adventure. My Dad and I used to go every year. Its more about when and where than where. There are great elk hunting networks and guides that create the best opportunties. Unfortunately my friends Art Wiecum and Tuffy Berg have passed RIP

I hunted the Deer Lodge area back about 12 years ago, Saw elk and got close. I was bow hunting. We rented a sheep herder cabin from the forestry service. I think it was @ $25 a night. It was awesome, it was fully stocked and had a nice concrete out house across the road. The area was general tag area. I hunted just west of there in Idaho a few years ago. The continental divide was the line between Idaho and Montana. I saw 2 elk at 800 yards and had several hunters responding to my call. I hunted the Missouri breaks area in 2012 and killed a good 6x6 that made PY. That was an outfitted hunt in a HD area. I mainly archery hunt and found less pressure then. The rifles hunts I've been on were in Colorado and there were orange vests in every direction. I couldn't tell you what Montana would be like during a rifle hunt.

Back
Top Bottom