• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone hunted elk in Montana?

Very cool. How did you land on Grass Range? Im not very familiar with that area. Are you hunting private?

A friend of mine has a friend that owns a hunting/guide service on 3000 acres of private land in Grass Range. It abuts 2000 acres of BLM land, which I believe anyone can hunt.

Missouri Breaks archery elk .

Attachments

• IMG_4635.jpeg
    IMG_4635.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 12
Im glad i found this thread, i was just about to make one. I got elk tags for Utah, going to hunt with a friend that is from there but just needed some advice from people. Aside from the obvious physical preparation, what else should should i be looking into? Im super pumped about the opportunity too.

One major consideration is the time of year/weather conditions. Early season muzzleloader and archery seasons the elk herds generally will still be at higher elevations.
Later season rifle hunts the elk will usually be down in the valleys at lower elevations…especially if early snow storms drive them down.
So know your local conditions to expect and plan accordingly.

One major consideration is the time of year/weather conditions. Early season muzzleloader and archery seasons the elk herds generally will still be at higher elevations.
Later season rifle hunts the elk will usually be down in the valleys at lower elevations…especially if early snow storms drive them down.
So know your local conditions to expect and plan accordingly.
Good info here. I know guys who hunt around the weather.

Unless your guys target a specific area, think 10/10/10. Youll need to hike 10 miles a day, be at 10,000 elevation, 10 miles away from the nearest road.

Elk travel an immense amount. When they spook, they'll generally leave that zip code.

Back
Top Bottom