• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Has anyone used a chamber reamer rental company vs. buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
Gearing up to do my first home smith build. Wondering if anyone has ever used a rental company for finish chamber sizing / setting headspace like...

http://www.reamerrentals.com/?gclid=CPml37nQna8CFZFR7AodPF9Ccg
or
http://www.4-dproducts.com

I can't imagine they replace the reamers or sharpen them if that is possible often enough...after all they are renting them to make money. That combined with not knowing if I'll do another build better yet in the same caliber.

Thoughts, comments, etc?

buy a new reamer for around $100 then sell it on ebay or Gunbroker as a once used.

you'll come out better in the long run

I'm partial to PTG reamers but Clymers will do fine

Needless to say I'm not tied to anything 100% yet, but I have two savages (a 300win mag & a 30-06) to play with and was thinking about picking up a remington long action to go with the stock I already have. I have a lot of 300 win mag relaoding stuff so I was leaning that direction first, but like the idea of a 25-06 or 257 weatherby mag too.

I might use a "nutless barrel" if that is even a term on the savage, just because it is more pleasing to the eye to most. A barrel like a remington with just a shoulder where finish chambering must be done.

I don't know anything more than what I've read so far and plan on doing a father-n-son project or two since my 15 year old is a gun nut himself. I'm all ears to any experience. I tried to find a gunsmith up this way that would lend some experience for helping out, but they have all retired, gone out of business, or can't be found. Growing up I learned to paint cars by helping at a body shop cleaning up and sweeping till they showed me the ropes. Can't do that these days it seems.

You guys know how many chambers a finish reamer will do before it is to dull to cut clean?
The answer is it depends. There a lot of variables on cutting tool life, including the material the cutter is made from, what is it cutting, whether the finish reamer is being used for just finishing or cutting a whole chamber, proper tool cooling, etc. Realistically if you use a roughing reamer for the initial cut and the finishing reamer for the final and use the appropriate speed and cooling, it should do many chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom