• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HB60, blade lenght & cutting edge

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
GA HB60, as passed
'Weapon' means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, ......
The total length of the blade is more than 2", but part of it is, as you can see, is just an extension of the handle. The cutting edge is less than 2". Should this knife be considered a weapon, as defined by GA HB60?

i61.tinypic.com_280ve2x.jpg

It is my understanding that if you have a GWL it doesn't matter. Your knife is covered same as your gun.

I know that isn't what you asked, but most folks on here do have GWL which makes blade length a non issue.

thank you. you are correct (even if technically that would be only for 5" or more). but the definition of weapon is important for places that are off limits with or without a carry permit.

IMHO as a slicer, not a sticker: If you are worried about blade length, consider changing technique. How many people are disabled with box cutters? In my opinion, if someone is out of the fight, that's all you need to worry about. If you can get a good face bleeder across the eyes or forehead, or some good deep arm cuts, most people are going to disengage. In this area of the country where people don't wear really thick coats, the handle is probably more important if you aren't licensed. I think Benchmade makes an urban compliant folder for those living in the Waste Lands". There are various fixed blades like the CRKT Minimalist you could look at as well.

The one above is really a tool that I use every day.
For defense, I prefer to think that I can count on my pistol, or on my legs to run as fast as I can, or my karambit. Not necessarily in that order.

:)

The OP is quoting from 16-11-127.1 the school zone weapons law.
The word "weapon" is much different for that Code section than most other Georgia statutes.
Unless and until the courts recognize HB. 826 as controlling over HB 60 on matters involving schools , it is not legal to carry 2" bladed knives on campus (unless you leave it locked in your vehicle AND you have a carry permit.

i think the non-sharpened part of the blade is still counted as " blade length " for this or any other definition of a weapon.

That little unsharpened area can still allow the point to stab in flesh deeper. It extends the reach of the sharpened part of blade for slashing too.
So the legislative purpose and reason for treating big knives differently from small knives is furthered by counting all of the blade forward of the handle.

i think the non-sharpened part of the blade is still counted as " blade length " for this or any other definition of a weapon.

That little unsharpened area can still allow the point to stab in flesh deeper. It extends the reach of the sharpened part of blade for slashing too.
So the legislative purpose and reason for treating big knives differently from small knives is furthered by counting all of the blade forward of the handle.
Thanks!

What about counties and towns with their own restrictions? Gwl covers over a certain length, but not under. There were, if not are, localities that restrict over 2".
Fortunately this risk was eliminated in 2012

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20112012/SB/432

Back
Top Bottom