• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

HBAR Buffer & Spring

Retread

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
I picked up a used HBAR Match Target the other day. Basically it's a standard looking A2 with minor differences.
The guy had the rear sight cranked all the way to 800 yds, so I'm not sure if he was having issues, or if he had Superman eyes.
It's in good shape, but look at it wrong and the buffer spring wiggles, so I took it out before shooting it. just to check it out.
If I remember right, (I was an armorer in the Army) the buffer spring was supposed to measure 17 1/2" to keep its job.
Look what I found. What the heck is this?

i57.tinypic.com_21c5kcm.jpg

Retread, I'll double check the minimum spring length for you later tonight. But what the heck is up with that buffer? Is it aluminum? Can you feel the weights move inside of it?

Oh snap. It's been years since I have seen the now infamous Colt Plastic buffer. It was a ban era cost saving attempt that is most famous in the Match Target HBARs. It is origninal Colt....what can I say, everybody makes mistakes.

Actually, I haven't heard of many of them failing since most people replaced them with milspec buffers as soon as they noticed they were plastic. Be interesting to see how long one actually lasted.

Oh snap. It's been years since I have seen the now infamous Colt Plastic buffer. It was a ban era cost saving attempt that is most famous in the Match Target HBARs. It is origninal Colt....what can I say, everybody makes mistakes.

Actually, I haven't heard of many of them failing since most people replaced them with milspec buffers as soon as they noticed they were plastic. Be interesting to see how long one actually lasted.

Thanks NWSharpshooter. I thought I remembered that Colt made a plastic buffer years ago, but wasn't 100% positive.

about 12 1/4". I wonder if the spring is the same diameter as a real one. Might just replace it at the same time.

It's right in the middle of the acceptable length range, but springs are cheap (like $5), so it couldn't hurt. It's probably fine though.

DSCN2965.jpgDSCN2969.jpgDSCN2970.jpg

I ordered a take off (supposedly) on eBay. Look what the guy sent me. Anybody know if it is real. As I remember, there was a bit of resistance when the balls moved back and forth. Not with this one. They roll freely. Is this something new, or did I get eBayed?

Back
Top Bottom