• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Choosing a Turkey Gun

heavyd

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
I am relatively new to turkey hunting and need a shotgun for this upcoming season. My sights are currently set on the Remington 887. Should I get the turkey version (22 inch barrel), the 26 inch, or the 28 inch. I can see the benefits of a longer barrel may get you a tighter pattern at yardage but do turkey hunters like the shorter barrel for hunting in a blind where you might hit the barrel on something?

What kind of features are on the turkey model, in the link below? I don't trust Bud's pictures. Looks like a different rear sight, sling, and an extra full choke.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/cat...MAG+12+22+HIV+TKY+CK

Is the Remington 887 a better gun than the Mossberg 835?

I could also buy a used 1187 with 25 inch barrel for $440 out the door. It does not have the rear sight that the turkey model does. Should I spend a touch more and go with the semi-auto?

Thanks for the advice.

Short barrels are easier to carry. The are generally harder to get along with Otherwise. 26" is a good compromise. I wouldn't fire a gun with the muzzle inside a blind without some serious hearing protection.

Pump vs auto: A pump will eventually start rattling at the forearm. If you use it only for turkeys and take it easy on the action it will be many years, but it will happen. A semi-auto will not. A semi-auto will make it easier to shoot a second bird if it sticks around and you want to shoot it.

I missed a turkey with sights because the sights were knocked out of alignment. I have yet to miss one with just a plain bead when I had my head down on the stock.

I carry the shotgun sling in a pocket to help when toting a bird out. You can't shoot it slung over your shoulder.

The Mossberg 3.5" guns generally pattern better than others due to the way the barrel is made. Usually you can just buy an 835 or 935 with the factory turkey choke, some Winchester Supreme lead #6s and be good to 50+ a little estimation error. The original 835 turkey choke labeled "lead only" is actually a very good choke.

Benelli nova in 26". They shoot straight, are well made and have a fast and smooth action. They also make a good bird gun. 3.5in chamber for big loads. I have one and love it. You can get it in black or camo.

Back
Top Bottom