• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help ID this Smith .38 special

kingofnapier

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
Has a four digit serial starting with "1". Don't have the money to pay Smith $30 for an eval.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 21
That looks like a pre-model 36 but I'm a bit confused about the backstrap. I can't tell if the grips are ill fitted exposing the back strap or not. It almost looks like a Safety Hammerless across the back but it's not a top break action.

That looks like a S&W model 40 revolver to me. That's one of the earlier style cylinder latches...provided that it's original to the gun, I would expect that the gun dates to the 50's.

It looks to be a Centennial, Pre-Model 40, or if it is an airweight, a Centennial Pre-Model 42. Wheeler that backstrap is not a backstrap. It is actually a lemon-squeezer style grip safety. It has the flat latch thumbpiece. The grips look to be original, high horn smooth grips I believe, but my eyes are not that good anymore. These guns actually came with a pin stored inside the grips to "pin" the safety down. On most guns of this vintage, the pin is long gone. Looks pretty worn from the pic, so I would have to guess it was carried, and carried alot.
Since they started making these in 1952 at "1", I would guess, and it would be just a guess that it was shipped in the 1953 to 1955 range. Just a guess mind you. Hope that helps.

Edit: Did some checking, and serial number 1061 was shipped in 1954. You said your serial number started with a "1" and was a 4 digit number, so yours would be around that year.

Last edited:
Thanks JWC. I'm not up on all the different J frames like I should be. I thought that was a grip safety but thought that they were only on the older top break style pistols. I really need to get a Standard Catalog. ;)

Back
Top Bottom