Help me decide what my next gun should be

So which gun?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M&P 15- Good Cheap Reliable and Lifetime warranty.

Now if I went this route about the only one I could afford (and still pick up some rounds for it) would be the Sport Model. Do you still agree with this choice? I have heard the sport models actually have one pro over the regular M&P 15. Obviously it's lacking the forward assist, dust cover and the bolt is not shot-peened or certified up to the same level as the regular M&P line but I've heard neither is the Rock River AR.
Many servicemen I've talked to say the forward assist is not really needed (as the older AR's didn't have them either) as well as the dust cover (they've also told me the only time they implemented the use of the dust covet was during storage. For the record though, these were not some behind the lines personell saying this. All of the servicemen I am referring to we're either USMC or US Army Combat Arms.

Now if I went this route about the only one I could afford (and still pick up some rounds for it) would be the Sport Model. Do you still agree with this choice? I have heard the sport models actually have one pro over the regular M&P 15. Obviously it's lacking the forward assist, dust cover and the bolt is not shot-peened or certified up to the same level as the regular M&P line but I've heard neither is the Rock River AR.
Many servicemen I've talked to say the forward assist is not really needed (as the older AR's didn't have them either) as well as the dust cover (they've also told me the only time they implemented the use of the dust covet was during storage. For the record though, these were not some behind the lines personell saying this. All of the servicemen I am referring to we're either USMC or US Army Combat Arms.

Heck yes, I have a sport model along with another M&P. The dust cover and forward assist is not something that I have ever needed. I have never had an issue with either weapon. I have taken both to the range and have ran some fairly hot handloads through both and got the barrel so hot you couln't stand to touch it, and I have never had a malfuntion with either weapon. The sport altough it does not have a crome lined barrel, it is cro-moly steel which is pretty darn hard.

CC weapon. If you don't have one and you have a GWL then you have no excuse not to. I feel like you have an obligation to carry once you have a GWL. If you carry, it is your obligation to practice with it. If you don't have a GWL and don't plan on getting it then obviously you should forgo the CCW and go with whatever else you think is the next most important purchase. I'd go Shotgun after that but that is just my personal preference.

Good luck deciding.

Handgun for carry. A weapon does you no good if you don't have it. A long gun is better for home defense, but a handgun can get the job done, too. I don't think you are very likely to have a long gun handy if you need a weapon outside your home.

A long gun will be more effective in one situation, but non existent in the other.

A handgun will be there for you almost anywhere.

Heck yes, I have a sport model along with another M&P. The dust cover and forward assist is not something that I have ever needed. I have never had an issue with either weapon. I have taken both to the range and have ran some fairly hot handloads through both and got the barrel so hot you couln't stand to touch it, and I have never had a malfuntion with either weapon. The sport altough it does not have a crome lined barrel, it is cro-moly steel which is pretty darn hard.

This is good to hear. I appreciate the insight!

CC weapon. If you don't have one and you have a GWL then you have no excuse not to. I feel like you have an obligation to carry once you have a GWL. If you carry, it is your obligation to practice with it.

This is my personal feeling as well. But man to not have an AR and while I can still find ammunition for a decent price is really digging at me.

- - - Updated - - -

Handgun for carry. A weapon does you no good if you don't have it. A long gun is better for home defense, but a handgun can get the job done, too. I don't think you are very likely to have a long gun handy if you need a weapon outside your home.

A long gun will be more effective in one situation, but non existent in the other.

A handgun will be there for you almost anywhere.

These are very valid points.

Oh man, decisions, decisions. With only 2 days to go. This tuesday I'm going one way or the other. I really appreciate the responses guys. I asked some of the best in the business (not mentioning any names here but nationally known) and couldn't get a straight answer on this one.

A carry weapon as per yours and other's advice (not to mention my gut feeling). I may take it up the butt by the time Feb-Mar rolls around in purchasing an AR or ammo (if any can be found) but I just simply can't justify not being armed in the meantime to buy one now.
And with that said here's two good reasons:

1) I am now carrying again therefore I can feel comfortable in the fact that "I'm doing job #1" as I put it on one of the choices.

2) Let's say everything goes to hell for whatever reason (riots, economic collapse, etc.). I would predict that before this happens we would see mass inflation and crime would skyrocket. with that said I would again be armed wherever I went. Plus and as Capt. Dave pointed out at least I might stand a chance if I should get caught in some s-storm unlike that poor guy that you saw in the L.A. riots being dragged from his semi.

With that said you just cant go wrong with a side-arm no matter what other weapons you have. As I stated in an earlier post I WILL be acquiring back / filling in all the holes that used to make up a decent collection (if the law still permits it by then).

I would personally like to thank everyone who voted and offered up any advice (including pm's).

Rule of Life #1 Kids: I know sometimes life gets tough and times do get tight but you had better think twice before selling off your firearms. They are often times not that easy to get back. Often times enough its good intentions that come back to haunt you. One day you find yourself selling off a sidearm or two to help fund an AR purchase, then the next some turn of events comes around and bites you. Next thing you know you have to reallocate all of those funds to medical bills and when it's all over your left with hardly anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom