• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help me decide

blakejohn

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   0
Reaction score
I want to reload but I am having difficulties deciding If I should.
Financially we are not well off but I am able to afford one box a week of factory ammo (if it could be found).

I have done some pricing research and figured out that it would cost me about the same to reload as it would to buy factory ammo (300BLK), could save up to about $10 per 20rnds.

I am not a hardcore shooter but would like to be able to shoot more often.

My questions are:
What are some of the cheaper presses (reloading time and effort is not a factor)?
Are there all in one kits that include everything other than dies?
What are the other benefits to reloading other than accuracy and Having ammo when you want it?
How many times can you typically reload the same brass (standard load)?

I'm not looking for links to different sites or books to read. I'm not at that stage yet. Just straight answers are all I'm looking for at the moment.

if you reload ammo you have to be realy interested in reloading in order to keep it up and make it worth the supplies, for about $300 + you can buy a basic reloading set-up, you will probably need at least $50 to $70 more worth of equipment to have permanent set-up that will do everything you need and last. the the supplies (bullets,cases,primers,powder etc). so if you shoot maybe 1-2 boxes a month it might not pay off, but if you fire a couple hundred rounds a month it will pay off.

i only shoot maybe 50-100 rounds a month and shoot easily found calibers(normally and the range tends to have ammo i shoot). so for me it would be a long while to pay off

Last edited:
On the cheap, get a single stage press kit, Lee makes a decent one. Get Lee dies, shoot lead cast, buy bullet and primers in 1000's.

Reloading offers versatility from mild target loads that extend the life of brass and gun to barn burners dependent on goals.

The number of reloads varies dependent on pressures generated. .45 ACP last and last while .220 Swift tends to lead a short life. So this question cannot be answered in general terms.

Once you bought the hardware it typically will last you a lifetime. It will be slow to realize any savings on something like 9mm but 300 BLK, yeah you will pay it off fairly quickly or other costly ammo.

On the cheap, get a single stage press kit, Lee makes a decent one. Get Lee dies, shoot lead cast, buy bullet and primers in 1000's.

Reloading offers versatility from mild target loads that extend the life of brass and gun to barn burners dependent on goals.

The number of reloads varies dependent on pressures generated. .45 ACP last and last while .220 Swift tends to lead a short life. So this question cannot be answered in general terms.

Once you bought the hardware it typically will last you a lifetime. It will be slow to realize any savings on something like 9mm but 300 BLK, yeah you will pay it off fairly quickly or other costly ammo.

AMEN^^^

Single stage works great, we use the Lee Loadmaster for 9mm.

Lee Breechlock Challenger kits are under $150 and work well. You will still need dies for each caliber you intend to reload, a good caliper, a solid bench, a couple of manuals, components, maybe a bullet puller and some way to clean your brass. If using a Lee kit, I suggest getting a good powder scale separately since the one that comes in the Lee kits is a piece of crap. If reloading rifle calibers, there are a few other things you will need, such as a case trimmer, case length gauge, etc... The majority of the stuff I mentioned does not come in any of the kits and will need to purchased separately. Most of what you need and why you need it can be figured out by reading a good reloading book or two. "The Beginner's Guide to Reloading Ammunition", is a good place to start.

Or, start saving up. In about a year from now this will all probably blow over and there will be a ton of used equipment on the market.

Look at the Lee equipment on FS Reloading's web site. You can back order equipment there. The basic Lee C frame type press is currently $31.18. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-reloader-press-90045.html

If you want to get into deep, you can also cast for the blackout and get a mold for less than a box of bullets would cost you.

Be aware the components are getting hard to find to load the rounds.More folks getting into reloading, so supplies are dwindling since most of it is going to make new factory rounds.JMHO

If that's all you are shooting, reloading to save money isn't worth it plain and simple. Reloading for custom loads that work better for you and your rifle is a good reason.

Back
Top Bottom