• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

help! slide locks back when trying to rack XDS

emclean07

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
18   0
Reaction score
So, with loaded mags, the slide on my XDS started locking back when trying to rack it. Every time, without fail, it locks back. I haven't gone out to shoot it yet since this started happening to see if it locks back after every shot also. Could this be a damaged/worn out slide stop spring? Any ideas? Anyone try the aftermarket slide stops from Springer Precision or Pistolgear? I also made sure it wasn't my finger accidentally engaging the slide lock so I'm at a loss. Thank you

Are you sure you're not riding the slide stop/slide lock?

I'm positive, with the recoil spring being so tight in that thing I learned early on you have to man-handle it and not ride it. I cleaned it yesterday and when I put it back together and loaded a mag it started to lock back. I took the mag out and tried it again and again and it happened every time. I wanted to see what everyone thought before deciding if I wanted to send it back to Springfield or not. They have actually had the gun in their possession for longer than I have since I've owned it, kinda sad.

Has the gun ever been apart? Sounds like the slide lock spring is broken or missing and and slide lock is not being held down under the spring tension.

It has been apart but the spring is def. in there and appears to be installed correctly. It looks like there is only one way to install it. I may have inadvertently bent that spring or something. I really have no idea!

Well, took the slide off again and called Springfield. They are 100% certain it is a slide stop spring issue after I described the way it looked and was positioned. I'm pretty sure my boresnake grabbed a hold of it while I was cleaning, jacked it up and got it all out of whack and I just didn't notice; that's about the only thing I could think of and Springfield said it was plausible. They are sending me out a new spring today for free. This was def. a learning experience for me. I'm not as well versed on pistol internals as I want to be so I got a free mini little lesson on the slide stop today. Springfield catches a lot of flack but they have had pretty amazing customer service every time I've dealt with them. Thank you for the responses Axios and Brian! Take care.

Back
Top Bottom