• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help. What do I do with my Dad’s collection?

Bing510_0

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
96   0
Reaction score
Hi. I’m the daughter of Bing510_0. I heard him talk about Outdoor Trader a lot, so I thought I would approach the group for some advice. He passed away on March 22, 2023 after a 5 year battle with Stage 4 Prostate cancer. He had an extensive knife collection ranging from low to high quality knives. He even made knives for several years. My siblings & I have gone through his collection and taken what we want, but what do we do with what’s left? To my knowledge, there are no benchmades, case, or spyderco left, but there are still some interesting & good knives left. We are not interested in piecing out, would rather sell as small lots or maybe even the whole lot. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much. -Kim

Attachments

• 39197614-FBCD-4864-9FB6-27BA481F0E50.jpeg
    39197614-FBCD-4864-9FB6-27BA481F0E50.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 149
  • A646160C-71AD-40E8-B10D-CFA628F5B67C.jpeg
    A646160C-71AD-40E8-B10D-CFA628F5B67C.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 142
  • F211BD32-DC42-444D-9115-A5031A7227BF.jpeg
    F211BD32-DC42-444D-9115-A5031A7227BF.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 143
Very sorry to hear. 😟
If you can just post an inventory with asking prices for each and simply put the minimum number of knives or minimum dollar amount you are willing to do a deal for.
Best of luck and again, sorry for your family's loss. 🙁

Hi. I’m the daughter of Bing510_0. I heard him talk about Outdoor Trader a lot, so I thought I would approach the group for some advice. He passed away on March 22, 2023 after a 5 year battle with Stage 4 Prostate cancer. He had an extensive knife collection ranging from low to high quality knives. He even made knives for several years. My siblings & I have gone through his collection and taken what we want, but what do we do with what’s left? To my knowledge, there are no benchmades, case, or spyderco left, but there are still some interesting & good knives left. We are not interested in piecing out, would rather sell as small lots or maybe even the whole lot. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much. -Kim
I would take individual pictures of the knives so the make and model can be determined and ask for recommendations on values on a separate post. After you can make a bulk deal with someone and know the value. I am no knife expert, but some on here will know what they’re looking at very quickly.

Hang onto at least one. One that you think was his favorite that may be more of sentimental value. A collection like that, they meant something to him. Would be nice for you to keep something to remember him by that is associated with a hobby of his.

As far as values, take the collection to a pawn shop, ask them to give you a price and then list them for a bit higher here or other places. Don’t sell them to the pawn shop.

Condolences to your family. It appears there's some nice knives still in there. Look them up individually to get an idea of what the cost may be. Used knives may not sell for retail but it would give you a rough idea. There could also be a few collectable knives in the worth a good bit so it may be a shame to let it go as part of a bundle not knowing. Best of luck to you.

Hang onto at least one. One that you think was his favorite that may be more of sentimental value. A collection like that, they meant something to him. Would be nice for you to keep something to remember him by that is associated with a hobby of his.

As far as values, take the collection to a pawn shop, ask them to give you a price and then list them for a bit higher here or other places. Don’t sell them to the pawn shop.
Also it may be good to save one for all the grandkids.

You may also consider trying to find someone to sell them for you 9n consignment. With the best of the lot already gone to you and your sibs, this may or may not bring a whole lot, money wise. It is hard to tell by just a couple of pics of course.
The only other thing is to find someone that is willing to give you the time to price them for you then try to sell them at a flea market environment or through here…. Something like that.
Whichever way you go, it will not be an easy task I am afraid….. so be prepared for a drawn out process.
Just my advice. Good luck and my condolences to you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom