• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help with decision.

olchevy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
138   0
Reaction score
Okay guys going to keep it simple. I have been saving up my gun fund and I'm finally at a point where I'm ready to pull the trigger so to say, but not sure which direction.

1) Get the leupold scope and talley mounts I was after for a long time to replace my very inferior 1970's scope for my main hunting rifle.

Or

2) Get a nice bow. Looking at some higher end used PSE and Matthews bows on here. I have always wanted to give bow hunting a real try, and used to love shooting bows but never tried hunting with one.

So Archery set up, or quality optics for my only hunting rifle.

Also was debating on getting a cross bow instead so my father could also use it, and I figured it would be better for some of my sitting on the ground hunting, but not sure on that.

I bow hunted for a while and shot 3D archery competitions in GA for years. I shot 7th in the state back in the early 90s I was pretty good. I could cut a pencil in half at 30 yards or hit a nock almost every time. Wasted a bunch of good arrows. With that being said. I don't recommend you take up archery for killing deer. I would stick to firearms they do a much cleaner and better job of taking down deer than a bow ever will. Sure you can kill a deer with a bow. You can also kill a deer with a 22. The question is how many do you want to injure before you decide to give it up. Buy the scope. Forget about the archery. Guys want to kill deer with bows because they think it is cool and more sporting. It is not.

I bow hunted for a while and shot 3D archery competitions in GA for years. I shot 7th in the state back in the early 90s I was pretty good. I could cut a pencil in half at 30 yards or hit a nock almost every time. Wasted a bunch of good arrows. With that being said. I don't recommend you take up archery for killing deer. I would stick to firearms they do a much cleaner and better job of taking down deer than a bow ever will. Sure you can kill a deer with a bow. You can also kill a deer with a 22. The question is how many do you want to injure before you decide to give it up. Buy the scope. Forget about the archery. Guys want to kill deer with bows because they think it is cool and more sporting. It is not.

All 6 deer I have shot this year is in the freezer. Out of the past 5 years I have only lost one. A good bow hunter is just as deadly as anybody with a gun, the range is just reduced by a few hundred yards. I also hunt archery only because I live in Cobb and got a bunch of land that is all archery only. I love bow hunting and only about 2-3 times a year do I pick up a gun to hunt.

All 6 deer I have shot this year is in the freezer. Out of the past 5 years I have only lost one. A good bow hunter is just as deadly as anybody with a gun, the range is just reduced by a few hundred yards. I also hunt archery only because I live in Cobb and got a bunch of land that is all archery only. I love bow hunting and only about 2-3 times a year do I pick up a gun to hunt.
Yeah, but you lost one. You will keep losing them as long as you bow hunt. Keep that in mind. Or don't.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I have seen far far far more deer maimed by gun hunters that think that their 300 win mag compensates for their utter lack in shooting skills.

I'm really leaning towards the bow right now. Optics are always nice, but as long as mine holds zero I see no reason to run from it. It's super thick German post reticle makes up for its lower quality glass in lower light as I can still see through it.

Back
Top Bottom