• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help with Dillon trimmer set-up.

Buckeye76

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
I just got my Dillon trimmer and am getting my toolheads set up.

I am going to set my prep tool head up on my 550 for the time being, maybe moving it to my 650 after I get a feel for it.

I plan on running a FL sizer and trimmer on one head and a universal decapper, powder, bullet seater, factory crimp on the other toolhead. The universal decapper will just be there to knock out any media that may be in the flash hole.

If the trim die resizes the case also, does it mess up what the expander ball does on the FL sizing die?
Should the trim die be backed out some? I know there was an old thread where this was talked about, but I couldn't locate it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Jason

What are you reloading? Just curious because I seldom use a FL die unless I am sizing used brass that did not come from my rifle. I have a 550 and I run a neck sizer die w/decapper,thwen again all of my brass came from my rifle so no need to resize the entire case.

223 range brass.
I will assume you are running this in an ar platform. I took a look at the trimmer die (pretty cool) I would suggest running the trimmer die during set up and a neck sizer w/decapping rod on your final to ensure you have porper neck tension, that will also avoid FL sizing the brass twice which will over work your brass.

I neck size previously processed brass or full length size unknown/range brass with the decapper/expander ball in the first station, then run through the trim die. For general range ammo, I haven't noticed any issues on neck tension or a degradation in accuracy. If anything, it should make the neck a little tighter as it is sizing without the expander ball... Something the Benchrest crowd actually prefers for consistent neck tension.

0n my 550 my first die is a lee collet neck sizer for 223 just to make sure the necks are straight.

this is after trimming with the Dillon electric trimmer... hopefully you have a case gauge to set the trimmer die by.. I use wilson gauges myself

I find no need for any FL sizing die as the trimmer handles that..

I decap with a Lee universal decaping die and then cut the primer pockets separately

love the trimmer

Last edited:
Suggestion, loading used brass you may want to purchase FULL LENGTH SMALL BASE DIES.

Some brass picked up could have been through auto's they will sometimes swell more than those run through the semi's.. only a suggestion..........

Back
Top Bottom