Hey ethernet/wiring experts

EA4EE3B3-F342-4E03-897A-7A70C7E2FA8D.png
This style of open wall plate with the brushes is nice IMO because you don’t have to fuss with the connections that can degrade performance. You can just pull the factory cable out and put a coupler on it, or plug it in to your device. They come in all the standard wall plate colors and sizes.

I would not waste time running drops to each room. If it is a very large house, I would run cat6e from the point where your telco or cable modem will be to a central place on each floor.
That way you would have the ability to put a meshed wireless network with good coverage.
If it is a two floor house less than 2000 feet per floor you will be fine with a single wireless router mounted low on the top floor or high in the bottom floor.

A patch panel is not what you want. Because it is where the wires running from the rooms back to your modem would terminate or end. After the patch panel you would need short Ethernet cables to run from the patch panel to a switch. For the home user this is overkill since they have simple networks and minimum wiring, but in the business world this is very important so we can move connections around between hundreds of connections.

Hubs have been replaced by switches, you want a switch. Look for a "Gigabit aka 1,000 Mb" switch not "Fast Ethernet aka 10/100 Mb aka slower". Switches typically come in 4, 5, 8, 16, 24 or more ports. I would recommend buying a 8 port Gigabit switch. Switches are cheap buy more ports than you need today in case you run more lines in the future. Don't forget one of these ports will be used to connect to the router.

Run one Ethernet cable from your current router to the new switch. If your current router is not Gigabit plug everything into the new switch it will be faster.

Cat6 is the current standard but I deal with Cat5E daily both will give you the Gigabit speed you are looking for. You can buy a roll of 500 or 1,000 ft but you will have to put the end on the wire. You can buy 50 or 100 foot premade cables online for cheap here's a link for 100 foot cable's for $13.50 I buy hundreds of cables from this company a year and they are high quality.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=2119&seq=1&format=2

A patch panel is not what you want. Because it is where the wires running from the rooms back to your modem would terminate or end. After the patch panel you would need short Ethernet cables to run from the patch panel to a switch. For the home user this is overkill since they have simple networks and minimum wiring, but in the business world this is very important so we can move connections around between hundreds of connections.

Hubs have been replaced by switches, you want a switch. Look for a "Gigabit aka 1,000 Mb" switch not "Fast Ethernet aka 10/100 Mb aka slower". Switches typically come in 4, 5, 8, 16, 24 or more ports. I would recommend buying a 8 port Gigabit switch. Switches are cheap buy more ports than you need today in case you run more lines in the future. Don't forget one of these ports will be used to connect to the router.

Run one Ethernet cable from your current router to the new switch. If your current router is not Gigabit plug everything into the new switch it will be faster.

Cat6 is the current standard but I deal with Cat5E daily both will give you the Gigabit speed you are looking for. You can buy a roll of 500 or 1,000 ft but you will have to put the end on the wire. You can buy 50 or 100 foot premade cables online for cheap here's a link for 100 foot cable's for $13.50 I buy hundreds of cables from this company a year and they are high quality.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=2119&seq=1&format=2
Thank you! This is pretty much what I was thinking when I saw the patch panel. Thanks for puting it into words lol. I’ll pick me up some cable and get an 8 port switch on the way.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom