• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

My daughter came down for the weekend and did some pistol shooting. Her everyday gun is a 43x and her CC is a .380 LCP. I couldn't find any ball ammo for her .380 so she shot a couple of mags of Underwood ammo. She didn't care for the recoil at all. Sure wish CCI would manufacture shot shells in .380.

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?

What's the point of the video?
I don't feel like watching movies.

Do you have an answer to the question?

( and the question is primarily about guns, not about cartridges / calibers.)

357 not bad, but for some applications a bit small. The S&W model 69 or 329 would work pretty good. The 69 weighs about 34oz, L frame 5 shot. And would make a great slim carry piece. The 329 about 26oz., 6 shot. Both come with 4" barrel and you can use shot shells for snakes and cast bullets for bears. If you reload you can work up a load you can hit accurately with.
69 with 44 special for the win!

What's the point of the video?
I don't feel like watching movies.

Do you have an answer to the question?

( and the question is primarily about guns, not about cartridges / calibers.)
Was responding to the comment on a 2” barrel in 357 is inadequate & uncontrollable. If you watch it’s about the Ruger lcr 357 & at 17oz 1700fps (gf uses Win 110gr hp) & 400lbs.
380 on the hiking trail is too small whatever make or model especially with all the murders on the Appalachian trail.

Back
Top Bottom