• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

History and price question on colt navy .36 cal sheriff model

I got it appraised or whatever the term is. It’s a first year production 1851 colt navy pocket pistol. It’s got a shorter barrel than the normal production. 22,000 were made. The colt expert said that it’s in good shape for its age. All serial numbers match and it was never altered. So that’s pretty cool.

I got it appraised or whatever the term is. It’s a first year production 1851 colt navy pocket pistol. It’s got a shorter barrel than the normal production. 22,000 were made. The colt expert said that it’s in good shape for its age. All serial numbers match and it was never altered. So that’s pretty cool.
Badass!

It appears that you have a circa 1861, Colt Model 1862 Pocket Navy Revolver .36 cal 5 shot. They came in 4-1/2, 5-1/2 and 6-1/2 inch barrel lengths. It uses the octagonal barrel with the Model 1851 Navy style hinged loading lever. What does the top of the barrel say? The standard marking was, "ADDRESS SAM L COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA". The "L" is small and superscript. It could also be "New York barrel address" or "ADDRESS COL. COLT/LONDON". The cylinder roll scene on the standard was the stagecoach hold up. Value is debatable but should lie somewhere in between $550 to $4000 based on my data. It appears that about 19,000 of these particular guns were made but they shared serial numbering with the 1862 Colt Police Revolver. Pretty neat old guns and very rare in their original percussion form as many were used in the manufacture of conversions to metallic cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom