Hodgdon Universal Vs. International for 20 Gauge Skeet Loads.

I used to load those Walmart-Cheapo- Winchester Universal Hulls with Claybusters 7/8 oz until an old timer suggested to use AA Hulls. They work but I would use caution.
Yeah thats all i got in 20 gauge at the moment. I have some remingtons on the way but all the load data ive found says that the rem shells produce about 2-3000 higher psi than the win hulls. Do you know where i can get any AA 20 gauge hulls?

Just a couple of words of caution and some words of encouragement.

When components are difficult to find many of us use what is available or affordable.

For a few hundred rounds it would not likely matter, but reloading the steel based promotional hulls can be hard on the resizing station on your loader. Hulls with a brass base like AA or STS are easier to resize and the plastic is designed for reloading and will be able to be reused multiple times. Be on the look out for the premium hulls at the range.

Depending on your loader, you may need a different crimp starter for the hulls with the 6 point crimps vs the 8 point crimps.

The Claybuster and F1 are not quite the same wad. While they are the same overall length, the shot cup of the F1 sits lower than the CB. The ideal solution is to use STS hulls with the CB wads, but if they are not available or cost prohibitive, then I use AAs with a little less shot ;-)

As for powder, I agree with the previous responses for Universal. Universal is just a little more dense than International and the little extra space in the hull allows for better crimps. I don't have any actual data, but the universal loads seem to cycle better in the autoloading guns.

I have used thousands of the Nobel Sport Primers using the same load data as the WW209. They may require a little more force to get them to seat into the base of the hull, but they will work. Once the Nobels are used in the hulls I kept them separate from the hulls where I use AA or STS primers.

Don't be afraid to ask questions...there are a lot of us who have tried many variations and combinations of loads in almost any gauge and are willing to share what worked and more importantly what did not work. Take your time and have fun.

When comparing pressures for the AA and STS hulls on the Hodgdon website, be sure to select the AA HS style hull in the drop down. AA hulls using WAA20 wads with WW209 primers and Universal powder tested at 10,200 PSI while the STS shows 9,600. I promise you could shoot one in the top barrel and one in bottom barrel of an o/u and you will not be able to tell which load is which :-)

I really appreciate all that info brother. Yeah im trying to keep it simple for the moment. Ill be using a lee load-all 2 until i get the hang of it then ill probably upgrade. Ill definitely be on the lookout. I did just buy a bag of shot online from a guy and he threw in a bunch of remington gun club hulls. Are they as good as the STS or even close? Im gonna keep my eyes out for some better wads as well.

The Remington Gun Club hulls will use the same reloading data as the STS hulls and will serve you well for a few reloads. They are not the same quality as the STS or AA but they will work. If you use the gun clubs extensively, you will wear out the sizing ring in the first station of the loader. The sizing ring is readily available and inexpensive to replace ($5 to $10). They are good hulls to learn to load with while you search for premium hulls. The Lee press has both 6 and 8 point crimp stations. The Lee Load ALL 2 has a reputation as a good value for a beginning press. I am most familiar with MEC loaders which make a good shell in less time, but are more expensive than the LEE.

The Claybuster wads are a good value for the money. The Remington wads are better quality, but retail for 25%-30% more. I know it seems counterintuitive, but I prefer the Claybuster wads with the STS hulls and the Remington RXP20 wads with the AA hulls.

Check out the link below for an excellent tutorial of how the loader works.

Thank you for all of that info. I think ive watched that video 3 or 4 times but one more cant hurt. To get anything but claybusters id have to order them online. Maybe i can find some 209's or something in stock and make it worth the shipping.

One additional thing to consider when ordering powder and primer on line is the shipment will incur a hazardous material fee of $39 per package.

Back
Top Bottom