• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hollow plastic stock

HERMET

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
56   0
Reaction score
I recently picked up one the Savage Axis rifles that WM had on clearance. The rifle action itself is fine but that plastic stock is garbage. I know that Boyd's makes a replacement stock but I don't want to pay more for a stock than I did for the rifle.
I've seen various techniques on YouTube for stiffening the stock and was hoping someone here had done so and perhaps had some pointers.
Honestly my plastic Gamo airgun has a better feel then this thing.

If you just want to fill it, use Great Stuff foam. If you want to weight it at the same time, use 2-part epoxy and lead shot.
That's where my brain was headed. I put a mcarbo spring kit in which helped the trigger pull some.
I picked it as a back up hunter so just trying to improve the shootability somewhat.

That's where my brain was headed. I put a mcarbo spring kit in which helped the trigger pull some.
I picked it as a back up hunter so just trying to improve the shootability somewhat.

The Great Stuff will knock down on the hollow noise/feel/vibration. If you want to add weight, and if the entire buttstock is hollow, I would fill it in 3 parts.

1. Fill the bottom of the hollow (towards the action) with Great Stuff and allow it to harden up.

2. Mix 2-part epoxy and lead shot, pour it in on top of the Great Stuff and allow it to set up.

3. Fill the rest of the cavity with Great Stuff.

That should give you a nice balance, if you use an appropriate amount of weight. Good way to check that beforehand is to pour lead shot into baggies and place them inside the stock to see how it feels.

The Great Stuff will knock down on the hollow noise/feel/vibration. If you want to add weight, and if the entire buttstock is hollow, I would fill it in 3 parts.

1. Fill the bottom of the hollow (towards the action) with Great Stuff and allow it to harden up.

2. Mix 2-part epoxy and lead shot, pour it in on top of the Great Stuff and allow it to set up.

3. Fill the rest of the cavity with Great Stuff.

That should give you a nice balance, if you use an appropriate amount of weight. Good way to check that beforehand is to pour lead shot into baggies and place them inside the stock to see how it feels.

I followed both of y'alls advice and it came out really well. I went ahead and filled the flimsy hollow forestock in the same manner.
I'm not a big fan of bubba guns but there was nothing I could do that could make it worse.
Thanks for the advice.

I followed both of y'alls advice and it came out really well. I went ahead and filled the flimsy hollow forestock in the same manner.
I'm not a big fan of bubba guns but there was nothing I could do that could make it worse.
Thanks for the advice.

Outstanding!

So Roadblockers used to have some kind of counterweight in the stock, correct? Like a tube of mercury or something that deadened the recoil. I kind of want to try this. Like a Dead Blow hammer or something lol... maybe a tube of lead shot.

Back
Top Bottom