• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Homemade Saurerbraten & sides

HERMET

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
56   0
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a homemade roast. It was marinated in wine sauce for 3 days and then slow cooked for 10 hours.
Served with knockwurst, mushroom spaetzle and the gravy made from the marinade.
Absolutely delicious and you can cut it with a fork and as good as an restaurant recipe that I've ever had.
I got the recipe offline and if anybody wants to try it I'll send you a link.
20220611_200705.jpg

Looks good—- I’m a little confused at homemade roast I usually buy a chuck roast at store and brown it on both sides and slow cook it in a frying pan for about 4 hrs with seasoning.

Looks good—- I’m a little confused at homemade roast I usually buy a chuck roast at store and brown it on both sides and slow cook it in a frying pan for about 4 hrs with seasoning.
Saurerbraten is a heavily seasoned dish. Usually I just use the packaged seasoning from Maggi or Knorr but I wanted to try one from scratch. There is no comparison.
There is a lot of stuff that goes into a Saurerbraten and if you've never had one it's hard to describe.

I love it with red sauerkraut. Not so popular in the US though. There was a great little place in San Diego, north county coast, run by an old German butcher......they made a mean plate of sauerbraten. They also had all you can eat meat for breakfast in the little restaurant up front, cheap. Tip Top Meats was the name of the place. I'm sure that old timer is dead by now but their name was no joke.....if you wanted the best quality beef, pork, ham, goose, all manner of European sausages that was the man to see.

I love it with red sauerkraut. Not so popular in the US though. There was a great little place in San Diego, north county coast, run by an old German butcher......they made a mean plate of sauerbraten. They also had all you can eat meat for breakfast in the little restaurant up front, cheap. Tip Top Meats was the name of the place. I'm sure that old timer is dead by now but their name was no joke.....if you wanted the best quality beef, pork, ham, goose, all manner of European sausages that was the man to see.
I didn't realize I was out of the red sauerkraut until it was too late.
There was a German Restaurant/deli/bakery in Stone Mountain village that had a good assortment of sausages and such but I have no idea if they're still there. Haven't been that way in a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom