• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hopefully making it to my first USPSA match this week. What should I know?

Ringorock

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
EyTeeEff
62   0
Reaction score
What are some noob considerations that I should make?

I have two mag holsters to hold four, a gun belt, and several owb kydex. Thinking about either using my p365xl or xdm elite for the first time, and I'm guessing that I'll fall into production class. What are things you wish you knew about the game or how to prepare for your first one?

You won’t win so don’t even try snd go fast. Focus on safety. Tell people you are new and be respectful. Comp shooters are a good group and love getting new people into the fold.

Practice moving at home (empty gun) with your finger wayyyy outside the guard. Especially if you’ve not done much shooting and moving together.

If you go to this one tomorrow (Monday) it is a learn to shoot IDPA. Not an actual match. I've been to the last 2 of these. Your not thrown directly into a match you get to stop and ask questions etc ..... Their match is on the 4th Monday of each month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-074434.png
    Screenshot_20220807-074434.png
    447 KB · Views: 18
Practice moving while not breaking the 180. This can cause some fairly unnatural movement and you'll be immediately DQ if you break the line.

Don't worry about speed yet. Go slow and do it right. The more experienced shooters will think more highly of you for it. They will see that you are someone that is there to learn and improve rather than some hotshot that thinks they are already a badass.

Sign up as Limited minor and shoot a fullsize gun. The goal of your first match is strictly to make it to the end. No one will remember your score, but they will remember if you get a DQ.

Let them know when you check in that it's your first match. They'll be plenty of people willing to help you navigate it.

Be safe and have a good time.

Which match are you going to?

Sign up as Limited minor and shoot a fullsize gun. The goal of your first match is strictly to make it to the end. No one will remember your score, but they will remember if you get a DQ.

Let them know when you check in that it's your first match. They'll be plenty of people willing to help you navigate it.

Be safe and have a good time.

Which match are you going to?
Going to triforce at bigwoods this Thursday, I hope. I tried to go last Thursday, but I just had surgery a week ago. Might be able to pull off a slow match this week.

Feel free to reach out with any specific questions. I’m in the match director for the Cherokee USPSA match.

Have fun! It’s addictive.
Cherokee county? If so, where do you guys shoot at?

Back
Top Bottom