How do I fatten dem deers up!

funkytechmonkey

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
What up fellow ODT'rs.

I'd like to chat with someone, currently managing property, that has successfully bulked the deer up on their land. My family and I are just starting to get into "deer management" instead of the good ol "just sit in a stand and shoot what walks up". We have taken out most of the jacked up retarded looking bucks and left the young ones with potential alone. I'll try to post some pics of the we-tards.

So my first question start with feeding. We've never really had a hog problem until this year. I have one trail cam pic with 9+ hogs. This makes me want to change out our tri-pod electric corn slinging feeders to a trough style or elevated gravity fed feeder. (keep the hogs out of it)
  • Around here (middle ga) what would be better to use for feeding deer? Tough? Gravity fed? Both better than a timed slinger?

Second - Most of the high protein deer feed (20g protein) is pretty pricey and I can only find it for sale in bags.
  • Has anyone found a high protein feed that can be purchased by the barrel? If so, where can I get it?
Last - I know feeding can get expensive.
  • Do you feed year around?

This buck had a broke back....
IMG_7547.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG

Salt and mineral blocks, corn, and the various stuff made to mix with corn combined with a good water source and natural resources are your friend. we usually start putting out feed after turkey season is over.

P.s. I'd you need help with your hog problem I'd be willing to come choot some for ya :D

we tried with no luck, hard to do unless you have high fences, if you border other properties that hunt you will just fatten up their deer, if you border a hunting club it's even worse. Deer instinctually are drawn to their natural food sources from what we found. Though most food plots with a variety did fairly well, and cheaper, just more maintenance. keeping the hogs out is also a challenge, traps work best or night vision.
As with any thing you get out what you put into it. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom