• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I redirect overwhelming energetic pup energy?

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
I have a good boy, a 1 year old 75# APBT. Super sweet dog, but he gets so excited when we get home and especially when guests come over. I love that about dogs, except he over does it a bit... For me, he doesn't jump up any more because I never reacted when he would do it to me as a younger puppy. Somehow with my little ones, he knows to not jump up but is very persistent and overwhelming with licks. For my wife, he jumps all on her when she gets home for a good 5 minutes sometimes because she can't help but react by telling him to "get down", "no", "ow", etc., lol. She tried crossing her arms and turning away and not giving attention when he does this, but I think he can sense that it still bothers her.

When guests visit, he does insane with happiness. He runs up to them like a torpedo and then jumps up to lick them in the face. This subsides after about 30 minutes, but most people can't take that. He runs around from person to person like a maniac, easily jumping up onto counters, dinner table, etc.

I've tried treats as incentives, but his pupils are fully dilated and nothing on earth breaks his focus. He does good with come, sit, lay down, stay, and a few more in normal circumstances, but the whole point of training him those commands is out the window when I need it the most. We've tried standing on the leash so that he's limited from jumping up, but it doesn't keep him from trying. Anything done to stop or slow him he just plows through or would hurt himself trying. Putting him in a different room is unenjoyable for all, as he screeches with his nose stuck under the door and scratches constantly.

Toys are as ineffective as treats, as is keeping him occupied with praise before hand. Taking him to the park to socialize is the same thing, as is the dog park. He likes playing with other dogs but he is obsessed with meeting people.

I know he's a great dog, and it super gentle with the kids in every other way (after we get home, he calms down after a little while- doesn't beg for their food, lets them play with his dog food, never growls when they pull on his fur or accidentally fall into him, etc.

Any ideas? I was hoping he'd kind of grow out of it when he grew out of the little puppy stage, but now he's a big puppy and I know it's a me issue and not a him issue. What can I do to fix my mistake? Thanks!

I have a 1.5 year old Pug that is the same way. He loves people, loves attention and since he is only around my wife and I 99% of the time, when someone comes over he loses his mind. He wants to love on everyone and will settle down after about 10 minutes. He is a great little dog, loves other dogs, loves to play and is very energetic.

When we have visitors, I keep him on a leash until he settles down and stops jumping. I wish I could give you some advice but I’m in the same boat and nothing has worked for me so far. Good luck.

My son(along with family) has a Boykin Spaniel....she she VERY energetic!!! she is now 3+ years old, still loves to meet folks at the door!! She will not jump up on me because I never allowed her to....she instead hits the floor, in front of me, and sticks her butt up for me to rub and pet, which I do.....
dogs just need a little guidance....they want to do what is good, you just gotta tell um what's right, and what's not right...

Seek out a quality dog trainer to teach basic dog training and commands. Dog training is also to correct anything the owner is doing or atleast that's what our trainer told us about our male Cane Corso.

There might be one or two dog trainers on the ODT.

Back
Top Bottom